Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jteam

BRP Can Am Rally

Picked up a non running Rally awhile back. Didn't realize it was a white elephant. Only made for about 4 years. The card was so degraded that the jet towers were crumbling. Turns out that card was only produced for that single engine, which was only produced for those few years. What a nightmare. I have tried several generic carbs and it has been a tuning nightmare. It runs and is a strong little machine that is perfectly sized for teenagers, but man I am turning grey trying to get it running right.  Anyone have any experience with this model?

What year is it? Have you played with the air/fuel mixture? So you've installed generic aftermarket carbs or swapped from other machines?

It’s a 2005. I used generic carbs. First was a flat slide type PWK in 26 or 28mm (can’t recall) but I believe it was too big. Been told those flow a lot more air and I couldn’t even get the jets close to right on that one. Second was a generic PE24. The original was a 24mm. I’ve tried a lot of jet configurations and got this one pretty close but it stumbles in the mid range. I can get the stumble out but then it stumbles on the high end.

Bad news is this carb’s float got stuck the last two nights I worked on it. I corrected though. The needle was sticking in the float tab and causing it to stick. However, I was tuning it last night and noticed the engine was getting a bit noisier (it’s a total and they all seem noisy) than usual and checked the oil. Dang crankcase is full of fuel and oil mixture. Next I’ll drain and refill and cross fingers it’s not damaged before I tune it more.

I’m leaning towards using another PWK but in 21mm. Thinking if the PWK’s flow more than average air so it may equal the original 24 round slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did an oil change. Don’t seem to have any after effects from the fuel in the crankcase. Played with the jets some more and have it the best it’s been so far. 38 pilot and a 135 main IIRC. Now the midrange is stumbling. I’m not giving up! My older son keeps saying “sell it”! I do not like being whipped by something I’m sure I can resolve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are filling the crankcase with fuel Id first make sure the petcock is shutting off. I had a similar problem with a Honda 400 that I bought with a fuel problem, you could clean up the carb and ride it for a day and the carb would start filling the crankcase. It had set with ethanol fuel for a couple of years and the petcock itself had began toi dissolve. It sounds like you are chasing the same gremlin