Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Ray Roberts

2001 Suzuki QuadRunner 500 High Idle

Hey everyone im new here, i have a problem with my 2001 suzuki quadrunner 500. When i start the bike up it sounds fine but a few seconds later the idle speed just keeps rising to where you cant put it in gear, and if im lucky it will climb down to where i can put it in gear but when i press the gas it immediately want to die. Please help me!

Check and see the choke, it may be stuck.  Double check that and the cable but look good because sometimes it’s the choke connector inside the carburetor. 

If that’s all clear it’s possible that the carburetor needs an adjustment. But you have to figure out why because if it was running good and just started acting up then you have to find out what.  So  if the bike was fine before then something changed that.  Maybe a piece of debris/dirt got into the carburetor somehow, maybe form dirt inside the tank, bad gas who knows. 

Also look at the air intake and make sure filters are all good and nothing got sucked into the carburetor like a piece of the air filter if it was crumbling. 

I would start there. 

It did this when i got it but the starter went bad and had to wait for it to come in the mail, i got the bike a week and a half ago. I will check the choke and filter tomorrow, thank you very much

• Like 1

Check  also  for a weak return  spring on the  main  jet needle diaphragm allowing the  carb to  creep  open  above idle ,  and make sure there is no air leak between the  cab and intake . There could be a partially  plugged  jet making the  carb run  lean. That will  make it rev  high at  idle  and die  when you open the throttle . Before digging deeper ,  check the idle air  adjustment.  Most  carbs  are set from about  3/4  to  1  1/2  turns out from gently  seated. Try turning yours in or  out about a 1/4  turn  at a time to  find the best  spot   for idle and no stall. It sounds like it is  burning  lean right now

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By mjm4jc
      Hello eeveryone,
      Just picked up an 86 Suzuki LT185 for my daughter, and she's complaining that it bounces so bad over bumps that it nearly throws her off the quad. I have the tire pressures some where around 3 psi. I really can't go any lower than that. I noticed that there isn't anything in the aftermarket world for shocks and springs for this quad. I am wondering what others are doing to soften up the ride. Also wondering if there's a way to fabricate a rear shock, since there isn't one.  I appreciate your feedback.
      Thanks!
    • By Chase Cook
      Have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 4x4 atv and when I put coolant in the radiator it starts leaking from the exhaust. The valves are sealed but it stopped making compression. Do I need to just replace the head? I just rebuilt the hole top end and this is the only thing +valves that I have not replaced and was wondering if that is why it's not starting up. Need answers please.
    • By Ajmboy
      View File 1984-1987 Suzuki LT185 Service Manual
      1984-1987 Suzuki LT185 Service and Repair Manual
      Submitter Ajmboy Submitted 09/13/2020 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Brent Wright
      What's a good size to start a 10 year old on?
    • By Brent Wright
      I give it gas then it dies.any advice to fix?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By cameron walton
      Hi Guys, I'm a newbie but pretty handy with a DMM (controls technician). I have been fighting a junker quad i picked up as a project bike, was assured it would run if I replaced the battery and cleaned the carb. I replaced the battery, rebuilt the carb with a OEM kit. FIxed all my switches and foul played circuitry from the last guy.... So I could get it to start long enough to test the quad, it seems okay from a trans/engine point. However I couldn't get the carb adjusted to idle to save my life with the idle air screw or the thumb screw on the card for the slide. I took it to a friend who is much more familiar with yamaha and quads and he double checked my carb rebuild all was fine, he adjusted the float to make the fuel not overfill which i missed.
      He pulled the air intake, got it started and couldn't get it to idle with or without air filter. We started looking at the spark plug (new) and he tested it with a spark plug clamp meter, tested good, pulled it and grounded and it had spark but he felt it was weak. I order a working used oem coil to try the easy things first. When I ohm out the coil on the quad with my Fluke i'm seeing .4 ohms on primary (ground lug to male connector) and 18K ohms on secondary (inside boot to ground lug). Seems like this forum is full of bear trackers so I'm hoping someone has some ideas to help me figure where to go with this. His thought was he know I ave fuel and he knows I have air, spark would be next. I have spark but possibly weak. Thanks
    • By Ryan Hutton
      Hey guys i am new to this site. i have a quadmaster 500 and last year my brother in law had it out and brought it back. When we went to put it away it wont move now any suggestions i have the belt cover off now. With it jacked up it seem to take gear when its not running.
    • By Brennon Heflin
      So I bought a 2000 quad runner 250. I'm having some issues an wondering what it could be I replaced the pet cock valve an the fuel filter an pump inside tank I also put a voltage regulator on it. The problem I'm having is that when u give it half or more throttle it bogs down an loses power what could it be the bike is almost like new an cant figure it out any help would be great
    • By davefrombc
      1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service and Repair Manual

• By davefrombc
      View File 1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service Manual
      1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service and Repair Manual

Submitter davefrombc Submitted 01/28/2017 Category Suzuki ATV