Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

v8unleashed

Bayou 250 -- electrical gremlins

I'm at a loss. I have a Bayou 250 I picked up a while back that SHOULD run, but won't. Overall it's in really good shape.

Initially thought it was a carb problem, so we played with the carb, and actually got it running at one point. Started up and idled repeatedly. Took it out of the garage and it had good power, ran strong. But halfway up the driveway, it cut out, and won't start up again. Carb seems to be fine, and it is certainly getting fuel. It won't start even with starting fluid.

Only thing I can think is the spark is too weak, or it's not sparking at the right time. Timing looks good. Valve clearance is good, everything inside looks mint. Changed plug, battery is good (on a charger). Checked ohms on the stator (within specs), the crank sensor (within specs), and the coil (within specs). Actually bought a donor bayou 220, and tried the coil and CDI from that. No change. I read somewhere the harness can get frayed somewhere along the frame, but I don't see anything obvious. Cleaned the main ground. Has good compression, over 140.

One interesting thing. Input from the battery to the CDI is 12v. Output from the CDI to the coil will rise to NEGATIVE 120 or so DC volts (not AC) when cranking, then slowly falls off. It's this way with both CDIs. Is that normal? Is it supposed to be negative voltage? The leads to the coil are different sizes, presumably to prevent reversing polarity, so it seems to be wired properly.

I'd appreciate any ideas, I really don't know where to go from here.

Out of curiosity, how do you draw the line between normal, and "weak" spark?  Purely visual (consistent blue), or tester?

It’s a healthy spark that you don’t need to have to look hard to find.   Fresh plug in the bike rest it aginst the head and you should see and hear the spark.   

• Thanks 1

Yes, I've tested the spark.  I don't actually think it's weak, I'm just wondering out loud since everything else seems to have been covered.  Just got an inline plug tester, and it seems fine with that too.

Does anyone have one of these or similar bike, and could confirm for me the voltage while cranking, at the two leads going to the coil?  Just take the two leads off the coil, plug in a voltmeter, and crank it over?

If you have spark at the plug and it’s clearly visible then that’s good.  The pick up coil delivers the spark at the exact time it’s supposed to and that may be giving you a problem.   But before you get into all of that double check the bike does not have a rev limiter that could be giving you a problem or just bad fuel? Carburetor is 100% properly adjusted ? Have you tried to make adjustments? 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chrism
      Hi all, new to this forum so thanks in advance for the help.

I have recently brought a 2013 power steering fuel injected foreman 500.

It has a crack in the front casing and was running rough. I have since replaced the front engine casing and this has made no difference to the engine performance.

It starts and idles but bogs down and starts to die once throttle is applied.

It maybe be but it also sounds very load.

I have uploaded a video link of it.

• By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By Ailll1
      I’m working on a Kawasaki Bayou KLF400 for a family member that doesn’t have spark. I’ve already replace the ignition switch and the stator which were defective. The stator had a melted connector and one of the phase had low resistance and low VAC output. 
      What I’ve figured out so far is that I’m not getting 12V to the ignition coil when I turn the key to the ON position. From what I understand, the 12V should come from the CDI. I’ve resistance tested both wires going from the CDI to the ignition coil (Green/white and black/yellow). They are fine. The only 12V coming from the ECU is on the yellow/red wire.
      I don’t have the wiring diagram for the 400 but I’m working with the one for the Bayou 300 which looks pretty similar except for the wire color between the CDI and ignition coil. On the 300 diagram, the yellow/red wire goes to the ignition coil, not the black/yellow… All the other wires color match except for this one. Not sure if that’s normal?
      Thanks!
    • By yugnats
      Hi all, I was gifted this Bayou but she's been sitting quite some time. It won't crank using the factory start button but when I jumper the starter solenoid it cranks but there is no spark. The key has power coming in on the white wire and when turned on supplies power to the brown wire coming out.

I guess I should start with testing the pickup? I heard I may be able to jumper the wires coming from the pickup with an LED bulb and it will flash? I noticed in the manual that it should have around 110 ohms resistance so I'll check that as well. One thing I noticed was that the starter circuit relay has power on one of the black wires with the key on- this doesn't seem normal as I'm assuming the black wires are grounds? I think one of them comes from the start switch, travels through the starter circuit relay and then grounds the starter relay?
      Mine is a 1991 so it has the 7 wire CDI (ignitor) and a 2 yellow wire alternator ( as opposed to the later 3 wire type ) with another 2 wires for the source coils (black & red wires ). The pickup wires are blue and black I do believe. Any help appreciated and yes I will test the pickup ASAP.

I'm trying to understand how the system works and I don't understand what the yellow / red wire from the kill switch does- I assume it gets grounded when the kill switch is "on" and therefore grounds the CDI so it can't activate the ignition coil? I noticed in the diagram that that yellow / red wire looks like it may be grounded by the ignition key switch when in the "off" position?
      I also don't have 12v power at any of the wires going into the CDI- doesn't the CDI need to be powered? I also read on this forum that someone used a GM HEI module in place of the factory CDI just to test it for spark- does anyone have any info on that?

I hope I'm not missing something simple!
      Here is a link to the diagram for my bike (which was posted by another user): https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/13742-1988-bayou-220-lost-spark/?tab=comments#comment-101193

Any help appreciated!

• By edb6969
      View File 1999-Later Honda TRX400EX Carb/Cable Removal
      1999 - Later Honda TRX400EX Carb/Cable Removal Supplement
      Submitter edb6969 Submitted 11/02/2020 Category Honda ATV