Welcome to QUADCRAZY! Use the main menu and search bar to navigate our site. It's always FREE to join our ATV Community and post in our forums, create your own ATV club, share your photos and videos, download manuals, and more. It's easy to get started and you can login with some of these popular social networks.

Guest Da_Hui

New

Guest Da_Hui

Names Alex. I'm 17 years old and looking to get into riding ATVs. I had rode them a little with friends when I was younger but havn't for quite a bit of time. I'm a very big car person. Mostly Jeeps and Toyotas but I'm into just about anything with an engine. I drive an '05 Tacoma PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road. Its mostly stock (only recently got it) but its my pride and joy! I used to drive a 2K7 Nissan SE-R but after having problems with it I sold it, got a truck, and have been happy sense. I live in Jacksonville, FLA but was born in Atlanta Georgia.

I am looking to get an ATV near the end of Summer time. I am looking primarily at used ones because I'm only 17 and don't make much money. I'm into off roading so I probably want a 4x4 ATV, hopefully I wont have any problems fitting one in my truck. I don't know much about quads so I figured I'd join so I can learn up about them before I purchase one.

Here is my truck which is my current obsession. Soon it will be my quad and my truck! :biggrin:

DSCN0763.jpg

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Welcome aboard! Always nice to see someone getting into the sport!

I would look into something around the 400-450 cc range utility 4X4 quad to start.

I would do some measuring before you get set on a certain quad. I have a Ford Ranger, I don't thinkk you bed is much bigger than mine. My 450 sport quad barely fits.

You deff. want an auto. since you havent rode a lot in the past.

look in you local newspapers and autotraders to find something to your liking.

Polaris,Yamaha, and Honda all make great Utilities in the range of 400cc-500cc.

Suzuki i sort of the botttom of the utilitiy world. but if you take care of it.it will last.

polaris has a problem with weight. they are heavier than most, but that doesnt take away from the get up and go, most reviewers say. Can-Am/Bombardier is the top of the power class. but they are hella expensive. Hondas are mega Reliable, but lack a bit in the power end. Yamaha seems to have a great blend of power and reliability. Kawisakis Brute Force, seems to maybe be a bit out of your range power wise [very powerful machines] but if you think you can handle it go for it. and just a fair warning. if its not Kawisaki,Suzuki,Polaris,Honda,Can-Am/Bombardier,Yamaha. I would STAY AWAY.

cheap chinese quads are both lacking in power and reliability.

My top machines for this class i would recommend.

Polaris - Sportsman 450-500

Yamaha- Grizzly 450

Kawisaki - BF 650 [if you want the EXTRA power]

Honda- Foreman

this is like my longest post lol hope it helps :cute:

You deff. want an auto. since you havent rode a lot in the past.

look in you local newspapers and autotraders to find something to your liking.

Polaris,Yamaha, and Honda all make great Utilities in the range of 400cc-500cc.

Suzuki i sort of the botttom of the utilitiy world. but if you take care of it.it will last.

polaris has a problem with weight. they are heavier than most, but that doesnt take away from the get up and go, most reviewers say. Can-Am/Bombardier is the top of the power class. but they are hella expensive. Hondas are mega Reliable, but lack a bit in the power end. Yamaha seems to have a great blend of power and reliability. Kawisakis Brute Force, seems to maybe be a bit out of your range power wise [very powerful machines] but if you think you can handle it go for it. and just a fair warning. if its not Kawisaki,Suzuki,Polaris,Honda,Can-Am/Bombardier,Yamaha. I would STAY AWAY.

cheap chinese quads are both lacking in power and reliability.

My top machines for this class i would recommend.

Polaris - Sportsman 450-500

Yamaha- Grizzly 450

Kawisaki - BF 650 [if you want the EXTRA power]

Honda- Foreman

this is like my longest post lol hope it helps :cute:

Welcome aboard!

I have to agree with the above, measure your bed or you'll be buying a trailer! There are some nice 400-500 cc quads out there. Suzuki King Quad & Yamaha Grizzly are my 2 choices for you.

Welcome to QUADCRAZY. I would pick up something used and make sure you will like riding and all. Then sell it and upgrade to something new!

My father-in-law has a Prairie 360 and it is a really good quad. He was also looking at Hondas when he purchased the Prairie but Honda doesn't have a front locker at all I don't believe. Suzuki and Yamahas are nice. Polaris is good too. I have a friend that has a Sportsman 700. Some people don't like their braking system though.

Welcome Alex and all the quads mentioned above are great choices and one not mentioned is a hybred between sport and utility.. They are less in weight then the full utility quads and more than a sport but unlike the full sport they are 4x4 and some you can even put racks on

I have a polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 (all wheel drive)with a rear rack and winch on the front and love it i also have a front rack which is not on right now.. Can Am makes one to but like stated above they are mega $$

I picked up my 2003 Scrambler 500 for about 2 grand and it runs like new

Good luck in your search

here is a pic of the scrambler 500

QUads22.jpg

QUads21.jpg

Chris

waaaahooo welcome aboard :) my first ride was and still is my trusty honda 400ex....its not an automatic, and I did pretty well learning how to use the clutch and such......get a honda rincon if you want a utility :)

haha, i'm a honda.gif girl....