Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

james R.

Honda 300 4 trex issue Please help

I have a old Honda four Trex 4X4 i'v been working on in my spare time it has been setting for a couple years I replace carburetor-plug-oil- filter- new battery -ETC, haven't tried to start it yet but here's what it's doing when I put my new battery on and connected the ground lead and went to connect the positive when I touched it to the post the motor started to turn over by it's self, I pulled off the starter solenoid and it clicks as it should it appears once the key is on no fire to solenoid- no lights - Zip-O,  can anyone tell me what it might be- Thank you for your help I don't know Jack about Electrical-

The smaller wires going to the starter relay, have you tried to disconnect them and see if the starter spins with the battery connected? The reasons  why this would happen are a few things.  The start button is stuck. That can be tested with an electrical tester.  The wire that sends 12v to the soliniod to activate the starter has been tapped into by another 12 v feed somewhere along the line. Maybe someone added an accessory of sort and that’s back feeding the wire.  

Are you at all handy with a tester ? 

heh I can understand the mechanical side of atvs... still wrapping my head around the electrical side..  I guess I'm used to working on AC with my dad (general contractor)..  just dont understand how the ins and outs work yet...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By MarkinAR
      I'm likely going to have to drop the swingarm on a 300FW. Are the lock rings and pivot bolts standard or left handed threads?  I looked at the service manual and it doesn't specify left hand so I"m assuming standard right handed threads.  Not sure though.  The last Yamaha I had apart was regular right handed threads but haven't had a 300 apart before.
    • By George Henry
      A clip from Diamonds Are Forever (1971) with James Bond riding a very early Honda Trike! 
      Three Honda ATCs come in at 1:54 with the one on th left pulling a sweet wheelie for 2 seconds! 
      Bond scenes are great!
    • By Dra O
      I likely just kissed $200 goodbye buying a Honda 250 this AM from Craiglist.  We'll see.
      - VIN number is off the front frame; one VIN site calls it a 2008 Honda 250 TRX - this baby ain't a 2008; other VIN sites list the VIN as invalid; might be that the owner (a shady dude from a shadier side of my home town) put a 2008 front end on it?  No idea.  
      - a HUGE hint (hint #1) would've been that there's no key to start the machine - gotta use a screwdriver.  I'll likely be visited by police sometime in the near future.
      - owner acquired from another man - owner showed me video of him riding it this summer on a major interstate while very drunk (hint #2) - the machine sounded good in the video
      - no front headlight; owner said machine has new carb - looks Chinese - he didn't have original carb; air intake box is wide open - no long plastic connection sleeve leading into air box like on my 99 king quad; no visible oil leaks; oil is dark; air filter clean; decent plastic; no front right brake apparatus; left brake handle very loose and rear brake doesn't work
      - battery at this point is good; manipulate the ignition switch w/ screw driver and the green neutral light shines (this has since stopped working)
      - it's a kick start machine: when I kicked it down (hint #3), the compression sounded normal, almost "tight"  but at the end of the cycle, there was some awful grinding noise coming from what sounded like either inside the engine or the starter area; I let it settle, kicked it again, same noise heard at the end of cycle; owner said it likely needs a new starter - I only hope it's this simple
      pictures attached - the throttle cable / zip tie pic is my favorite - but it works!  it was CRAZY dirty prior to pressure washing - and the water in air box is likely secondary to the power wash - no water was in it when purchased
      gotta few things to complete on the king quad - will be changing motor/gear oil in honda and getting new oil filter over time - talk soon - hope y'all had a great Christmas

• By StolenATV
      My son’s brand new 4 wheeler was stolen out of a shed on reservoir rd in Johnston RI
      The post Stolen 2020 Honda TRX250X appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
    • By Jim Hoffman
      Hi,  I'm looking for a repair manual for a 2011 Honda Rancher 420 ES.  I've been looking on here and have only seen manuals for the 420 AT.  Does anyone have a PDF that would be willing to share?  
      Thanks in advance.