Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

bradleyheathhays

How to disable my airbag *gasp*

So my Mom drives a 2002 Ford Taurus that I believe has one of the Takata airbags that have been killing people. So far her car hasn't been recalled for the airbag, but I know this recall is being done piece meal as they can't do them all at once, and since the recall applies to the year right close to hers I suspect hers eventually will be recalled as well. Either way I don't want to take the chance, and here's why...

The explanation for why these things are going off is there's some defect in the manufacturing that when the air bag is exposed to humid conditions and lots of temp fluctuations, something in them weakens and there they go. Mom's Taurus has a windshield leak so, even though it's never smelled, there's always been a virtual puddle of water in driver's side floor board. So the inside of the car has always been humid, just like in the airbag explosion scenarios.

So, for the time being, until she gets into another car, I'd like to disconnect her airbag to be on the safe side. She is an amazingly vigilant driver, never even a speeding ticket, and the risk of her rear ending someone is virtually non-existent.

How would I go about disabling an airbag on a 2002 Ford Taurus?

Or, alternatively, how do I open the steering wheel column, or front of the steering wheel, which might be part of the disabling process itself, and identify if Mom's airbag is indeed one of the defective types?

I also agree about disabling a safety feature. Removing the airbag might cause a problem when the car is recalled since it was removed. It also may not pass inspection with the airbag missing. I know in PA the airbag must be present to pass inspection. Since this is a known issue, I am sure there are Youtube videos in how to deal with this.

Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ryan Foster
      I am trying to find a used OEM cylinder for the above mentioned quad. I was told the current cylinder came from Amazon so I suspect its aftermarket china (made from recycled coat hangers and shopping carts.) Anyway, was looking at the parts list and they have 2 cylinders listed..
      11210-19B82-0F0
      MODEL X/Y
      and..
      11210-19B90-0F0
      MODEL K1/K2

My engine case is stamped K403 230829 Trying to figure out what model I have. I see I have a K in there but....
      I don't know what the differences are between the cylinders (the first one cost more). Anybody know how to decipher this?
      I only have the engine, I don't have the frame to get the actual VIN.  

Also, are there any marks on an OEM cylinder to differentiate it from aftermarket?

• By Rick Robinson
      My Arctic Cat ATV started sputtering and backfiring and losing power on acceleration and sometimes die. It idles perfectly. I thought it may be the carburetor float sticking and would knock on the bowl and it would run great again for a while. It then started doing the same thing but I began hearing a loud knocking like low octane knock. This is intermittent and does not knock all the time. Thinking it was the carburetor float and possibly an obstruction in the jets I cleaned the tank and carburetor and put a new kit in. Still had the same problem. Bought a new OEM carburetor It still has the same problem at any adjustment? It also seems to improve a small amount when carburetor is disconnected from the filter system. I am starting to think it may be something else causing this possible a Coil or electrical? I would appreciate an experienced reply. I do have automotive shade tree experiences but this has me scratching my head. Thanks in advance!
    • By Ajmboy
      Interesting to read what the thought process was only 63 years ago. Might be BS according to some of the posts on reddit. This was actually posted 15 years ago and making its rounds again...lol.

• By Colin Davis
      I recently acquired a Yamaha bear tracker 250 that does have a wiring harness.  Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the 250s. Also if you have a pin diagram that tells be the colors of the wires going to the cdi and rectifier or just a picture of the plugs would be much appreciated. I can’t find anything on the harness online. I have all of the switches and stuff and I plan on just build a harness myself because I can’t find one to buy.

• By bradleyheathhays
      Damn, it took 30 years of driving to cause my first accident, and on Friday the damn 13th. Did a low speed rear end into the back of a lifted truck and got into it's trailer receiver. The only place it made contact with was at the very front center of the hood close to where it latches. Unfortunately the impact was enough that there's a longitudinal hump in the middle of the hood now, bowed 6 inches on each side above the quarter panels, which weren't involved at all thank God. Both my headlights are cracked at the top, but not because they got hit; I think it was because the hood and it's latch was pushed back during the collision possibly deforming the support structure, causing the to separate. The hood is lifted up about 3 inches above each headlight and when looking in at the support material just behind each headlight, one side shows cracks and the other cracks and about a 1/2 gap in the material. Can't tell but it may resemble fiberglass, not really sure? My best guess is that the whole front bumper is gonna have to come off and that entire front support piece be replaced. Any advice on how hard this can be? I do a lot of my own work but I really don't want to be getting into this especially with the weather getting so bad now.

When I go junkyard shopping for parts, what year Tauruses are compatible with my '02?