Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Michael Jensen

86 moto 4 cdi

It’s hard to say but I would guess the last two years before and after would fit that. Just look up the part and compare the plugs. They should be noticeable as far as fit up.  But before you replace everything do some testing and check the stator and pick up coils first. If your handy with a tester let us know and we will walk you through it.  

Just FYI...I have the same machine and my spark issue was caused by the ignition coil mounted under the gas tank where the spark plug wire comes out of. I replaced it with a new one from Partszilla for under $20 and it solved my problem. I don't know about the CDI.

Mine lost spark until I charged the battery. I figured out that the voltage regulator/rectifier was bad by using a multimeter. I tested voltage from the stator at the connector the regulator plugs into, white wire to blue wire. You should see at least 12 volts AC. It should go up higher than that when you rev the engine (mine goes up to 30 VAC). If that's there, you have a good stator. Then test the regulator/rectifier, which would probably be best tested by connecting your multimeter to the battery with the engine not running, and note the voltage. Start the engine and rev it up. The voltage should go up. If it doesn't, you need a new regulator. The inline fuse is part of this circuit, too, but nothing works if it's blown.

For you electronics nerds like me, I test the regulator output at the battery because the raw feed from it while disconnected from the battery can confuse some multimeters because it's pulsed DC, not constant DC.

There are only a couple of years that fit the 86. They used the same CDI for the last 3 wheelers and first gen 4 wheelers. They are very rare indeed. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.