Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ATV Rider has an article in their April 2008 issue on how to make your LT-R450 a mean race machine for under $2000. "The bottom line is that we weren't looking for glitz or bling:our main objective on this project was to maximize function at a low cost." That was their goal which I know is alot of privateer racers and new racers goal as well. So he is what they did:

Race Tech Suspension = Reworked stock suspension $950

IMS/Roll = Pro-series nerf bars $199.95

Intimidator Series MX bumper $129.95

Big Gun Exhaust = M-80 power module $39.95

Quad Tech = Plastic Hood Scoop nosepiece $65

ITP Tire and Wheels = MXR6 10x6-10 front tires $71.95 ea.

Front wheels $87.95 ea.

MXR6 18x10-8 rear tires $66.95 ea.

Rear beadlocks $145.95 ea.

If you do the math it is actually alittle over 2000 but still great.

That's still a good thought, some of those machines have so much money in them it's ridiculous, it's good to know someone is out there trying to help the poor man like me.:dull:

That is good but it is really nice and expensive quad they started off with. :wiggle:

yeah no kidden....and you can find cheaper mods than what they used, and still have the same quality...

like the nerf bars and even the rims....beadlocks are great to have, but I think I'd choose to skip the beadlocks, find a cheaper set of nerfs, take that money and get a good exhaust...

you might even be able to find a cheaper bumper....obviously they've never shopped on eBay:laugh:

If someone plans on racing at that level, what kind of quad would they start on? You are right, there are cheaper mods that give the same results. I was just posting this because it is a good outline of where to start and I'm trying to get some action in this section of the site. We need some more manufature talk.

if i was to start racing..

no one have a heart attack plz.

i would go with..

Honda, no doubt.

...no one had a heart attack right?

lol

but yeah, honda.

great machine. GREAT LOOKING

have more experience building..

idk.just love it..

but if i was to go straight from stock to track the KTM would be mine..

thats if money was no prob. lol.

yeah, KTM comes with the best set up, not having to do many mods to make it race ready...or like any mods..

but to choose between the other brands, Honda has my <3 !!!!

And you don't have to buy a brand new quad to have a good one either, mine's actually a 2000....it was barely rode before, nearly brand new, although its now 8 years old....I changed the exhaust, bumper, nerf bars and got out on the track...over the past year I've done some more......just got an EZ pull clutch for it, and a steering stabalizer...

But none the less, good article to post Bot!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Frank Angerano
      So i have a friend at work who was recently diagnosed with a small but very manageable heart problem.  He is in good shape but doc says he shouldn't be shoveling snow or anything crazy for a while until they figure this out. So he asked me to see what i can find him to plow since he has a good size piece of property.  So i spent the last two weeks scouring the local states to find him a good atv with a plow! 

Found  him a big bear 400 4x4 with a plow for a steal!   Going to go through it good and put my touch on it and deliver it next week. 

As much fun as we have with this quad thing its just as much fun helping others out!

• By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      Want to show you one automotive show that I filmed in my town called Crazy Race. This was two day race in Qualifications round, Semifinals and Final. In this 4 parts I am showing best moments from all rounds and entertainment of the show.
      Crazy Race Part 2 contains a qualifying round where all riders race against each other, selected by lot and split by two. They are free to drive in any direction and to hit their opponent's car everywhere except at the driver's door. Anyone who intentionally hit the other car in the driver's door is disqualified. Winner of each race continue in the semifinal round. In this part I will present the best moments of the qualifying round! 

Part 3 shows you the best moments from Day 2 - Semifinals and Final. Battles in the semifinals are among the winners of the first day races, but this time they are selected by lot and divided into 4 battles of 4-5 cars each. The rules in each battle are that they only have to drive in one direction and try to neutralize other opponents until there are only two players left. Then the battle between the two last drivers has the rule to drive in any direction until only one who has qualified for the final round is left. Again, anyone who intentionally hit the other car in the driver's door is disqualified.
      For the final round there were only two cars left, because the other two players who got the right to be there had problems with their car and could not participate.

Part 4 containing entertainments between battles and winners rewarding.
      This event will have second round in 05-06 October 2019 and also will be filmed  For this new round I will filmed in many new angels and places. Will prepare a lot more videos and many new entertainments . This 4 videos was my first try so many things to wish for better filming in the future one.
      Hope you will like them and of course feel free to comment and to ask everything. Hope you will Subscribe to my channel and to be first to see my other content and of course new round of Crazy Race! Thanks!
    • By MarkinAR
      Picked this beauty up for zero dollars this weekend. It has been passed around several of my son's friends and the last kid was just tired of tinkering with it.  Mostly complete 96 300FW. The pic is my boy robbing the swing arm and rear diff for his 300 for a big memorial weekend ride. Wiring is garbage at the battery, kick start doesnt work, no coil, smoked like cheech and chong when it ran last. I figure a couple hundred and a few hours and this will be ready to ride. Journey will be documented on Instagram at @martincyclellc if ya wanna follow along. 

• By Scott M
      Hi all. I've had a 1994 350 Warrior for 15 years or so, love it but, I'm wanting it to be a 4x4. With my limited knowledge I've come up with maybe a 2005ish wolverine 450 4x4.  I really need advise on what to look for though!
      I'm liking the prices on the early 2000s. The biggest concern is it fitting it my truck. I have a 2016 Colorado crew cab (5 foot bed). I'm not worried about length at all just width of the front wheels I think I guess...
      I think I heard that the Kodiak is the same as the Wolverine but it has a front locker??? I'm not overlooking other brands, I just searched around and came up with these.
      What do you guys think? What would you get for under about $5 grand, 4x4, that is relatively light weight and will fit in my pickup? 

• By Kelby 746
      Hey y’all I got a kfx 400, rebuilt the carb put bigger inlets on it, adjusted the fuel mixture screw 2.5 turns out and cleaned the fuel petcock. It starts up not so great, it takes full throttle with full choke and cranks for about 10-20 seconds before it fires and while “ideling” it surges very bad and I’ve messed with the idle set and it changes nothing, if you ride it casually it runs fine but as soon as you get on it for more than 4 seconds it stumbles and falls flat on its face and you have to wait for the carb to fill back up with fuel, I’ve checked everything and nothing is blocking fuel, I even put a bigger hose to see if that made a difference. Thanks for reading hopping to hear someone has some advice. 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By n1kk
      Would installing a stock exhaust of a bigger atv in place of a stock exhaust of a small atv be a practical substitution to an after market exhaust?
      For example would i see any performance gains ( or losses) if i installed a stock exhaust from a 450cc atv onto my 350cc atv. After rejetting of course.
      Would it not make much difference? Possibly be worst then stock because of too much flow?
    • By Mickey_Dunlap
      For those that don't know me my name is Mickey Dunlap owner of Four Stroke Tech. In the 80's I was one of the few that made a living racing 3 wheelers and in 1983 after winning 5 races against Team Honda they started helping me out in trade for being able to use my name in there win adds. In 1984 they gave me a full ride and this was one of my last ATC 200x's that I just got last Dec. on a trip to Washington state where I grew up. I flew out there to pick up my grand fathers 1969 Ford F-100 my mom sold me. I knew of this 200x for 20 years but the guy would never sell it to me,but my mom sweet talked him into selling it back to me.
      On my way back to PA. I stopped in Or. to pick up two more of my old racers from Powroll perforemance my eingine builder back then.The guy painted it Powroll's blue and white,but I just started restoring in back to the way it was when I raced it for Honda.
      [ATTACH]1278[/ATTACH]

• By utvboard
      HiPer Technology has opened its rider support program for the 2010 season.HiPer is accepting electronic resumes through [email protected] for racer support consideration.With a long history of success, 2009 was another outstanding season for HiPer’s legendary carbon fiber wheels.This past season brought wins in the Baja 500, Pikes Peak, short course and cross countryside by side racing,
      More...
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      :yes:

:laugh:

We still love him even though he's on a Kawasaki!
      And notice dad in his Quadcrazy sweater!
    • By Ajmboy
      KFX450R Racer Build Up
      By John "Doogie" Howell
      Mar 21, 2007
      Click on Relate Media for all the pictures!
      Astute readers may remember Cyle Chislock’s name from our April 2007 issue when he and his Honda 450R were featured in our Monster Energy story. As we were working on the article, Cyle picked up a support ride aboard a new Kawasaki KFX450R and was awaiting his machine’s arrival. Well, luckily for him (and the rest of us!), that time has finally come.
      Cyle called and told us that he was in the process of building up his new race KFX and asked if we’d like to snap some photos of the process. Cyle’s plan is to contend the entire 2007 ITP QuadCross series, assorted WORCS races, and even the Baja 1000 aboard his new machine. So enough of the gabbin’—let’s check out his new ride.
      Up front, Cyle partnered with the popular Roll Design/Elka Suspension combo that the factory Kawi crew will be using on their own race bikes. The Roll Lobo II front end is made from 4130 chromoly and comes with PFTE composite lined bearings and hardened steel pivot pins. The upper arms are fully adjustable (both castor and camber can be tweaked) and the setup comes with 4130 chromoly, zinc-plated tie rods. Cyle plans on running the stock rear swingarm for now—from what we’ve heard, the lightweight aluminum stocker is pretty stout and should hold up to the stress of racing quite well.
      The front Elka Factory shocks are brand new and are also very high tech. The new shocks come with features like a high-flow piston, DLC coating on the shaft (giving it an extremely hard coating), plenty of hard-anodized parts, and optional titanium springs. The biggest feature, however, is Elka’s new, patented Track System. The Track System helps provide a plush ride when hitting harsh jolts and high-speed hits, and it allows you to further adjust the high- and low-speed compression without any compromise in handling. Elka also provided Cyle with one of its new System 3 steering damper setups, which features high- and low-speed damping and return-to-center damping adjustments.
      When it came time to outfit the bike with a pipe, Cyle turned to the guys providing the power to the factory crew—Pro Circuit. PC adds some serious snap to Cyle’s new ride in the form of a new T4 pipe. The T4 features a titanium header and midpipe, which is mated to a stainless steel can. Getting that power to the ground is a full set of ITP’s newest QuadCross tires, which is designed to shine on real slick or hardpacked surfaces, with the standard 20-inch fronts with 18-inch rears. (Cyle’s machine here sports the standard Holeshot tire—at the time of the photoshoot, ITP was still testing the brand-new QuadCross tires.) Other miscellaneous odds and ends include Streamline brake lines, an IMS Intimidator bumper and nerfs, and a Quad Tech ATV seat and carbon fiber front nosepiece.
      When we talked to Cyle about the new Kawi, he backed up what we felt during our test of the stocker. “It’s more stable than the Honda that I was used to riding—there’s no bump steer, it’s easier to ride longer, and there’s hardly any body roll,” he explained. “The stock motor is a little stronger and torquier than other stock sport quads, and it pulls longer. The addition of the Pro Circuit pipe really helps to wake up the motor.”
      Courtesy http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1601255,00.html