Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Kawasaki Bayou 300 Acts Like Its Flooding

Hey Jeff. Welcome to Quadcrazy. Was the bike running good up until a certain point and did this just happen out of nowhere ?

im thinking the main needle on the throttle slide may be set to high. But if it was never tampered with them there should be no reason to move it.  

Check that it’s not bent, check the setting on the air fuel mixture screw also.  It may be ruining a little rich.  My guess is your problem will most likely be an adjustment on the air fuel screw.  

It's got 32,000 miles it, it's my daily driver, 35-40miles a day 5 days a week. Regular oil and filter change, new coil, complete cleaning of the carb 2 1/2 months ago. Checked timing and valve lash and chain everything is ok. It just started one day out of the blue when the weather hit 98° and it only acts up when it's been humid as a gorrillas armpit or has sat in the sun all day. If it sets 20 minutes it'll fire right off and run fine

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a 2003 Bayou 300. A cheap Craigslist find. Funny enough I'm having the same problem, it sat in the sun all day today in 90 deg heat, and it was flooding and wouldn't start. I pulled the fuel line with the petcock in the "off" position, and lo and behold gas came pouring out. Seems like these Bayou fuel valves go bad. And as it sat all day the fuel slowly flooded the engine (not sure if that's even possible?) 

Anwyays I put an inline fuel valve on it so I could be SURE that the gas is off when it sits in the sun, and a new plug, and it fired right up... So you might check your fuel lines and make sure they aren't dumping gas into it while it sits. 

Mine is also running really rich, which is a story for a different thread

• 1 month later...

Update time, 5 weeks in and still no joy. New carb, fuel shutoff and cdi and still ain't getting spark. It's not the coil cause I took it and put it on my bosses 300 and it fired right up. Put it on mine and got power to the coil on the red wire but no spark. Friend of mine that works on small engines said it might be the igniter or something called a pulse-something or other. Theyre supposed to be inside the case behind the recoil starter. I'd complain but parts so far have only run me about $350 and I got the ride for free in great condition over a year ago. Still though I'd like figure out this spark problem, ideas?