Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Tahj

Grizzly 660 check timing gear + ?

I am looking to see why my 2005 Grizzly  660 won't crank. I have set the valves but suspect a loose timing chain.

When working to remove the valve cover I found a "cap tensioner case" - parts #25  - #299 on Babbitts site.

The  cover seems to bridge the valve cover and the cylinder head. What the hell is it and what surprises will I  find if I remove it?

Uncharted territory for me.

Won’t crank how? Does it turn by hand? Loosen the cap to the crank and put a socket on it and turn counter clockwise. Then report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06kfx440

Past that now- it did crank with the plug out.

I pulled the valve cover. The cam gear is about a quarter turn out of time by the dimples when the timing mark is right on.

I have ordered a cam gear and timing chain and am about to go into the stator, rotor and starter gear.

New territory for me.

Tahj

Are your valves okay? Yes. Go ahead and replace the chain and tensioner. Move your cam sprocket to in time. You may have to roll it back some because once the tensioner tightens it will roll your cams slightly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ajmboy
      Unfortunately I didn't notice some of the rust hitting the undercarriage of my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660, but saw it the other day when I was doing some maintenance, oil change, air filter, spark plug, etc. The left side footrest broke and that's causing the plastic to hit the front wheel. It broke right at the welds from too much rust. Looks to me like what I need is (looked this up on yamahapartshouse.com):
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27481-10 Left side (broken)
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27488-10-00 Right side (rusted and will probably break eventually)

Does anyone have a less expensive source? I did see on ebay a couple of listings but it still comes out to @ $50 each, 
    • By DUBLT
      Looking to purchase a windshield for my ATV, suggestions of what to buy with quality in mind and will fit without doing any modifications. 
    • By Kaj Colum
      Pushing the start button the engine turns and will forever without starting. But if I use the kick start it will start with one or two kicks everytime, any idea as to what is going on. New good battery and coil, I'm ready to try anything. It's a great bike, but this is getting anoying. Thank you.
    • By pcumby
      Hi guys I'm in the market for a new ATV.  I narrowed my choices down to King quad 750 Grizzly 700 and Rubicon 520,  I own a 2006 500 Rubicon right now and I like the reliability and power for plowing.  However it is not a capable ATV.  When quading with other guys it falls short with ride quality and ground clearance.   I also have a 500 King Quad 2015 which I like and will keep it for my wife.  It is very strong and reliable also.  However my plan is to sell my Honda Rubicon and replace it with a 2020 of one of the these mentioned above.  Can anyone give me their take on one or all of these machines and why you picked what you picked?
    • By Barry Troxtell
      I have a 2005 Sportsman 500, Instrument cluster will not illuminate, hi/lo beams work though.  Any tips or troubleshooting info is greatly appreciated!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Andrew Klein
      Need some help please. I am trying to set timing on 4x4 350 bruin 2006. My brother and I disagree on which ones to use. If anyone has a picture they could share I would greatly appreciate it
    • By Khoranic
      Does anyone know the bolt size that holds the timing chain tensioner on to a 400ex? Thread size and pitch.
    • By Rock
      I have an arctic cat 250 atv and I need to know the timing specs and procedures for this engine if anyone can help. Thanks Rock
    • By YFZ450
      I know how to put it in time, i dont understand the tensioner how it works, i know you have to back it out but should the bike be running when im doin this or can it be shut off.
      Can someone explain the full process of getting the timing chain tight again