Quantcast

Suzuki LT-F160 Quad Runner does not seem to run long on Reserve

Rich1028

Suzuki LT-F160 Quad Runner does not seem to run long on Reserve

was out  riding and when tank got low,it ran funny,so we switched it over to reserve ...it ran for awhile then no more .

pulled it back to parking lot,filled it up started and ran ok.

what do I look at first?

the valve,or is there a separate fuel line leading to the valve?

7-26-19 018.jpg

The reserve inlet is part of the gas petcock. If you were to remove it there is a long and short screen. The longer is for the on setting and short for reserve setting obviously. So my guess is the screen in the reserve pick up screen could be blocked, or the small port on the petcock behind the valve is clogged.   You would see two screws where the on off is shown.  They come off and the valve cover comes off and you can inspect.  But he careful because once you open that up they are hard to get back together without leaking again due to the old gasket coming off and going back on.   

Ive always drained the tank and pulled the gas line off. Put a new long hose like theee feet and clear on the petcock and put it on the reserve and blow into it and see how freely it flows.  Same with the on setting and see if there is a difference.   If there is an obvious difference then take that long hose and  hang it up higher then the tank and spray carburetor cleaner in the hose until it fills up.  The pressure in the hose will keep pushing the dirt into the tank and freeing it up.   Then it’s just a matter of putting a little gas in the tank and flushing it.  

Edited by Frank Angerano
  • Like 1

well I removed the fuel line from the valve to carb.  first let it drain in the normal position and switched it to reserve,no difference in flow,but when main side got lower it came out slower,and when I switched it to reserve it continued to flow slow.

so for this next trip out,which is Sat. I'll bring along a gallon of fuel to keep it above the reserve .

no time to mess with the valve at this time,but thanks Frank Angerano for the reply!

Edited by Rich1028

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off! 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Louznmemind
      Howdy y'all, I'm trying to fix a neighbors 2015 Brute Force 300. Came in with hard to start and won't idle except on choke issue. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet as well as the emulsion tube partially clogged. Cleaned up everything, put it back together, still having issues...  It will start right up on choke and will also start off choke if you give it just a touch of throttle but it absolutely will not idle unless it's choked just a touch. Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming the "dial" thingy attached to the carb that turns in and out is for setting idle?? 
    • By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.