Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Just Bought 1988 Suzuki LT230

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Sorry so long for the reply, but I just joined last week.  My friend and I used to ride the LT230's back in the 90's and early 2000's.  I still have my 1986 (blue seat), but he sold his 1985 (black seat) a while back.  Mine was pretty much trouble free with regular maintenance.  My friend ran into trouble when his swingarm bushings wore out and he didn't replace them.  The chain jumped off the front sprocket and tore a hole in the side case.  Since there's not a lot of oil pressure, he was able to JB Weld it.  I made sure that didn't happen to me so I replaced the bushings/bearings as soon as they showed signs of wear.  I installed zerk fittings into the frame where the swingarm attaches and also into the rear axle housing.  As Ajmboy says, some regular maintenance will keep you riding for a long time.  I haven't rode mine in years, but I'm in the process of bringing it back from the dead.  I did keep the oil changed, but I'm getting some piston slap and some smoke, so trying to put a piston and rings in it.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2020 at 7:22 AM, William Edwards said:

My friend and I used to ride the LT230's back in the 90's and early 2000's.  I still have my 1986 (blue seat), but he sold his 1985 (black seat) a while back.  Mine was pretty much trouble free with regular maintenance. 

I bought my 1985 LT230 GE (black seat) about three years ago.  It was in rough shape, but ran pretty well.  The tag with the manufacture date on the frame says 1984 and the VIN makes it a 1985 model year.  What confuses me is that the badly cracked and patched orange plastic body had stickers that say: Shaft 230. You said your friend's 85 was chain driven, and I didn't think they came out with the shaft drive until 1987?

Did you get the piston / ring job finished?  Are you riding it yet?

It turns out it didn't need a piston and rings.  The black smoke at cold start was caused by valves out of adjustment.  It needed new bearings, rear brake caliper, air filter foam, oil change and filter among other things.  Nothing major though.  All good now as you can see by the pics.

Yes I'm riding again.  She looks almost like a new one now.

IMG_0451.JPEG

IMG_0452.JPEG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By pacton10
      I am replacing the pistons on my drum brakes for 85 Suzuki LT230GE.  One was seized and broke while trying to get it moving.
      I am only able to access [what looks to be] the same part but for a 250.  What do you think? will they swap out?  I ordered it anyway and will let you know.
    • By BOHUNTER
      Hi  all, I have just come into possession of a 85 lt230 shaft drive but I cannot find any clutch adjuster on it anywhere....
      Can someone help me out here or do I have to replace the clutch...
      Tia
    • By Bill c
      I have this 1986 LT230GE that will not start without a shot of starting fluid. I have set the valves rebuilt the carburetor and will start after using starting fluid after it has sat idle for two or three days. any sugestions
    • By William Edwards
      Hello,
      I'm new to the site.  My son and I have decided to bring back our old quad from the dead.  Does anyone know where we can purchase a cylinder kit for it.  I think it's a 1986, but will have to check the VIN to be sure.
      The last time it ran, it was tapping and smoking pretty bad.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks!
    • By Jeff Andersan
      1988 lt230 Suzuki
      Having problem with getting into neutral have to do it by hand to get into reverse keeps skipping into 2nd is there a adjustment I can do I'm new to this 
  • OEM Parts at Aftermarket Prices