Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

John Dunn III

Just Bought 1988 Suzuki LT230

@John Dunn III looks like no answers, may have got lost in the mix.  Typically that atv should give you hours of trouble free use as long as it wasn't beat on or neglected. Just change the oil regularly and keep it clean. Inspect under the seat, wiring, etc.

Sorry so long for the reply, but I just joined last week.  My friend and I used to ride the LT230's back in the 90's and early 2000's.  I still have my 1986 (blue seat), but he sold his 1985 (black seat) a while back.  Mine was pretty much trouble free with regular maintenance.  My friend ran into trouble when his swingarm bushings wore out and he didn't replace them.  The chain jumped off the front sprocket and tore a hole in the side case.  Since there's not a lot of oil pressure, he was able to JB Weld it.  I made sure that didn't happen to me so I replaced the bushings/bearings as soon as they showed signs of wear.  I installed zerk fittings into the frame where the swingarm attaches and also into the rear axle housing.  As Ajmboy says, some regular maintenance will keep you riding for a long time.  I haven't rode mine in years, but I'm in the process of bringing it back from the dead.  I did keep the oil changed, but I'm getting some piston slap and some smoke, so trying to put a piston and rings in it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By WILYUMS
      Took a little ride around the farm today. It was good to get away from the TV, Politicians, and all around bad news. Only an hour or two, but helped recharge me. This is in Western KY on our farm. About 85 degrees today here. I will still get you guys a run down in the newer ohv and atv parks here in this end of the state. But not today I'm thinking of heading back out for a night ride later.

• By MarkinAR
      And the new 300FW is already wounded. Something got in a bind and blew the whole chunk of case out around the primary drive gear at the back of the motor. In the pic you can see the crack along the top...there is a big chunk missing from the bottom. And it won't roll....but the front and rear diffs both seem fine. Unfortunate. This looks to be a bit of a project. Still feels like it will shift through gears so i'm wondering if the ring and pinion just jumped a bit and blew something to pieces.  I have a parts bike.  But will this require the case to be split and transmission completely disassembled?  I assume you can't just slide the broken primary drive out and slide the replacement in?

• By Rick Shropshire
      Happy New Year all! Remember not to operate any vehicles while under the influence, you could get busted or worse, you could get hurt or hurt someone else who's playing it safe and end up in jail. Have fun and be safe.
    • By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Bill c
      I have this 1986 LT230GE that will not start without a shot of starting fluid. I have set the valves rebuilt the carburetor and will start after using starting fluid after it has sat idle for two or three days. any sugestions
    • By William Edwards
      Hello,
      I'm new to the site.  My son and I have decided to bring back our old quad from the dead.  Does anyone know where we can purchase a cylinder kit for it.  I think it's a 1986, but will have to check the VIN to be sure.
      The last time it ran, it was tapping and smoking pretty bad.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks!
    • By Jeff Andersan
      1988 lt230 Suzuki
      Having problem with getting into neutral have to do it by hand to get into reverse keeps skipping into 2nd is there a adjustment I can do I'm new to this 
    • By Admin
      View File 1985-90 Suzuki Quadrunner LT230 Service Manual
      1985-90 Suzuki Quadrunner LT230GE, LT-F230G, LT230S Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Admin
      1985-90 Suzuki Quadrunner LT230GE, LT-F230G, LT230S Service Manual