Quantcast

93 Kodiak, clutch slipping

MarkinAR

About done with the Kodiak finally. Oldest took it out today and ran the piss out of it, buried it to the belly, and I think its finally about ready to trust. However, there is a clutch slipping that needs to be addressed. It pulls fine from a dead stop to about half throttle. If you go ahead and open it up, the clutch basically lets go at higher RPM. My question then is; centrifugal clutch or main clutch pack bad? I assume since it pulls at low RPM then it's the main clutch pack slipping at WOT. School me though: where does the centrifugal clutch end and main clutch pack begin?  Also added to this issue, he was crusing down a gravel road and all 4 wheels locked up and it died. I assume it tried to throw 2 gears at the same time and locked up. It unlocked though and shifted ok after coming to a stop. 

This Kodiak is a turd that won't flush. Front diff seal is pouring and it started making an odd knock while running. turns out the odd knock is the cylinder popping up and down against the motor case bc the previous "mechanic" stripped the head bolt threads on one head bolt and the cylinder has a bit of wiggle. Waiting on helicoil to arrive and a diff seal and we'll try again. Turd I tell you!

It's impossible to get the transmission in two gears at the same time (it's a constant mesh transmission - half the gears are splined to the transmission shafts and the other half freewheel), but if a freewheeling gear seizes to the shaft it's the same as being in two gears at the same time.  The centrifugal clutch engages at about 2000 RPM and is in full lock at 2500 to 3000 rpm and is not adjustable, but the manual clutch is adjustable.  If the clutch adjustment is too tight, is can release the clutch as the engine heats and most noticeable in the higher gears.  You can test the release point of the manual clutch by pressing or lifting lightly on the shift lever.  The shift lever releases the manual clutch to facilitate shifting.  If you just barely press on the shift lever and the clutch releases, adjust the clutch release on the clutch cover for a later release.  If you have to press the lever about half way through a shift to get the clutch to release it is about right.  If it's about right at this time and you press on the lever to get it to release while holding the throttle wide open in high gear, then let off the shift lever and it continues to slip until you let off the throttle and perhaps slips again when you get back on the throttle, then the plates probably need to be replaced.

Edited by Steve A

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: 

• By Drillbit
      Hey all,
      I need some input on a problem I'm having with my Kodiak 400 that keeps fouling plugs. First off, I've done a lot of work to this thing, most of it all in good fun. Brake work, cv joints, u joints, carb kit, checked valve lash, compression good, changed all fluids, etc... My problem is it keeps fouling plugs very quickly. I can put a new (manual recommended plug) in and it starts right up, runs great, idles great, picks up good. Doesn't stutter at all. I ride it for 1/2 a mile, it cuts off and won't start back up. I let it sit overnight thinking maybe it got to hot. Try to start it the next day, nothing. Put a new plug in, fires right up, runs great for another 1/2 mile or so, dead. The plugs come out and look carbon fouled with dry black soot on them. I don't know if this is a fuel/air mixture problem or a ignition problem. A couple of things that I noticed is I never need to pull the choke out to start it. Also, when it starts it automatically idles high like an automatic choke would do, then it comes back down to a good idle. Also I noticed that the air/fuel mixture needle valve screw does nothing when I adjust it in or out. I can screw it all the way closed and the motor still runs and idles good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost leaning to a ignition breaking down the plugs??
      Thanks! 
    • By CaptJim
      Hello guys, I hope I am not invading your space, but as you can see the current state of my project here it's not but about 50% ATV. I am hoping that some one here can point me to a wiring schematic that I can reference since the "Complete wiring harness" i purchased from Amazon did not include a diagram of any kind.

The ones that I am finding on line vary greatly but none show the connections for the separate 5 wire connector coming from the motor.

Can someone tell me where these wires go?

Thanks in advance for all help!
    • By p5200
      The studs in the sprocket hub are stripped out. The hub is probably walloed out also. Probably will have to have a new sprocket hub. I doubt I have the ability nor the tools needed for this job. Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! 

20240225_155255.mp4   20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4