Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

1992 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4 No Spark

My old Big Bear nearly left me stranded but I managed to limp back to my garage just before it died. Now No Spark. I’ve changed the obvious, inexpensive and easy parts- spark plug & coil without any luck. 

Ive stripped it down and traced all of the related wiring, checking as many connections as I can but no luck again. 

Next I pulled the cover and accessed the stator housing to inspect and do some resistance testing to ID a possible short. 

Here are my readings:

Source coil- 325 ohms

Pickup coil- 225

Can anyone tell me if these are good numbers, and if good, where to go next?

I assume my next purchase will either be a new stator or CDI, but since neither of these tend to be returnable items I want to be as sure as I can I’m gonna get a resolution to the problem!!

Thanks,

Gary in SC

Hey Gary welcome to Quadcrazy.  Did you try to test from each of the stator wires to ground one at a time with a continuity tester?  If you get a reading on any of the wires to ground then it’s a dead shirt inside the stator coil.  
Also with regard to the kill switch do the same for continuity testing as well as open the switch up and check it for water inside. 

• Like 1