Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Kaj Colum

Bayou 400 crank but no start?

Pushing the start button the engine turns and will forever without starting. But if I use the kick start it will start with one or two kicks everytime, any idea as to what is going on. New good battery and coil, I'm ready to try anything. It's a great bike, but this is getting anoying. Thank you.

Does the engine turning over have enough speed or is it a slow crank ? I’ve seen starters that crank at a low rpm and that won’t start the bike.  

Hi Frank, To me it seems to turn fast enough, but I have ordered a statrter just in case, wondering if it could be anything else though.

As long as you have consistent spark verified while it cranks and fuel is going into the carburetor then it could juts be a cranking issue.  It usually happens when you have low compression.  I would take a compression reading for shits and goggles.  

Yes, I was wondering about that. I'll have to borrow a tester and give that a go. Do you know what the compression should be? thanks.

Edited by Kaj Colum

Hi Frank, Thanks for your help. You were right it was the starter was weak. I installed the new starter today, it works perectly! I honestly forgot what it was like, now I barely have to touch the button and boom, she's running and raring to go!

That’s great news! Glad it worked out, ride safe and be sure to stay in touch, post some pics of your rides !  Quadcrazy is not only a site  for help, we like to shoot the shit here and share our experiences. Anything goes here brother! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.