Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Randel1

Oxidized or faded plastic body parts

I recently read an article about restoring or at least improving the looks of faded and discolored plastic body parts. In the article it suggested using a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. You mix it up and apply it with a brush or rag to rub it in and remove the oxidation. I curious to find out if anyone has had experience with doing this and what was their short/long term results of doing so. I would hate to try it and find out that a few weeks/months down the road my plastic body parts self destruct.   

• Like 1

I can honestly say I've tried it all! Linseed oil, water sanding with 2000 grit paper and trying to buff it out, heating with a heat gun (worked the best) but nothing will bring them back! I use armor all to give them a decent look but nothing is going to ever bring them back to the way they were. 

• Like 1

Thanks, thats good to know. I decided to try and test the boiled linseed and paint thinner 50::50 mix on a small test area and was impressed with the results. It didn't leave it looking new but it did make it look a lot better. The best part was that is very easy to apply and with little effort. I have used armor all in the past but after a few hours the chalky white oxidation starts to show through again. The test area with the 50::50 mix was applied about 4 weeks ago and it still looks much better than before. I just have not done all of the pannels because I was concerned about the long term effect degrading the plastic. So far I have to give it a thumbs up. 

• Like 1

I agree. It does look good but mine did not hold up that long as well as being a magnet for dust which results in washing the atv and that washes off the oil. 
its great when ur selling an atv ! 

I'm going to have to try that. @Frank Angerano  did you use propane or other torch/heat. Or a heat gun? I saw this video where they are using a torch:

Here's a guy using rubbing compound...

I used all methods, flame, heat, buffing etc. None of which held up very well. 
I did however water send  and send to a auto body shop where they added a flex agent into the paint and sprayed them and the finished product was insane.  

My buddy got some Rust Check over spray on some faded blue Polaris Magnum plastics and when he wiped it off it looked great so he did the rest of the quad. It's been months and it still looks like new.

Cheap enough to be worth a try on purpose.

• Like 1

@Randel1 the best ratio that’s I’ve seen that’s works the best is a 80-20 mix of the Materials you noted. 20% boiled oil is optimal. 

but try on a small area as it will take multiple tries to rid the surface of the oxidation.  

good luck  

• Like 1

So ive been messing around with faded plastics for a while and I've even sent them out to a body shop for paint since the person at the body shop added a flex agent to the paint.  
I thought to myself why cant i just put a flexible clear coat on them? 
So i decided to give the water sand thing one more try with 1200 grit and it took all the surface dirt and faded white residue away.  Thin i  hit them with a flexible oil based clear coat spray can that i had my local place order for me after asking her to look for something in that ballpark.  

I tried a small spot first and then tried to remove it with gas and a few other things including a light psi pressure wash.  The results were good enough to try half the rear plastic.  I think it worked out great. Im going to do all of them and see how they hold up since the atv is going to someone i know and can keep me up to date.  
The pics are not in any order except for the very last one. Thats finished product of one side of the rear plastic and you can clearly see the difference. In person it looks and feels great and seems durable.  

E5B2E07E-F408-4D25-9261-15D300027A79.jpeg

E85D6836-9E32-4EDC-9517-CD3378900AC1.jpeg

E677A1E5-9BF0-4C84-BF60-11E50B6837A2.jpeg

102A524F-542C-4E57-8D05-8897A836665E.jpeg

A03E7FB8-E9EE-451A-9973-E313BB763C84.jpeg

ADCB5D72-8CDB-4A4D-AE18-E480C2C42173.jpeg

AA18972B-A0AB-4ACB-8618-DDC5E52BA3F4.jpeg

080F4601-3882-4B55-A5E3-2220FE847978.jpeg

5BF50351-9C3C-4044-96E5-4C5FE90499BB.jpeg

0005994E-4012-453F-B61A-868319DD6E10.jpeg

C56AC336-5563-40E8-9081-33711061C797.jpeg

CF42A001-FBDB-4789-A831-7A89E493DCD4.jpeg

So i got what i wanted to get done and a little more.  The clear coat works great and it's definitely flexible. However  I'm hell bent on and close to having a process to restore plastics like new without any paint or clear coat or chemicals.  Gotta wrap this one up and get it gone asap but I'm going to  get me some old plastics (Where not sure)  and going to have at it.  I plan on recording the process and share. 
Its going to happen this year !  

39752A14-9607-4B9B-971C-1359DB4B8752.jpeg

076E19E9-C003-41FA-B9D0-5A5336B091DE.jpeg

1EBC9211-4126-42E4-AF4D-CFD984E05C31.jpeg

1A27F495-6277-4EB8-839C-E1E7C0608FEA.jpeg

1FAEF1AF-0271-4B0D-A876-5797CC8DC850.jpeg

7F589395-7A2B-4A07-8653-94CE49A76E64.jpeg

DB4A21BF-C1BF-4DEB-A85D-07EC30E5B18C.jpeg

Heating works really well if you get it just to where the surface is shining and then dash it with cold water.  Auto restorers have been doing it for decades on interior trim.  If you don't flash cool the plastic though, it just goes back to oxidized looking.  I wonder if the ATV plastic leeching a bit of oil over time will hurt the clear?  Looks good though.  Can you get the flexible clear you used in a satin?

I haven't looked for it in satin but i will definitely ask. The funny thing here is i tried a small area thinking i could wipe it down with gas and start fresh! Nope! It was not coming off so i had to water sand it. It made me definitely feel better about its durability. 

I hope you find the magic bullet. So many we run across need the plastics freshened up but I haven't seen the great option yet.