penguin151

03 yam. big bear brake help

8 posts in this topic

Hi I am new to the site. I am desperately looking for some help with the rear drum brake on my 03 big bear. Basically I have no rear brakes and I can not get them back. My first problem is I cannot keep the water and mud out of the drum. This thing is JUNK. I have had it apart three times in the last year and I am at my wits end. :aargh: I have just about replaced everything in and around this drum to no avail. I have brakes as long as everything is dry but the first sign of water or mud and thats it for the brakes. I am so frustrated its not even funny. I have even tried leaving the cover off the drum to just let the water in and out at it's own free will. Does'nt work. My buddy has a Wolverine that looks like it has the same axle on the back and his has a rear disk. I would love to convert this. Has anybody done this or know if this is possible? I'm all but begging for some help from someone. This problem has ruined a perfectly good machine. I bought it new in 03 and a new atv is not in the cards right now. If nothing else thanks for letting me vent a little, and you all have a great site here.

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Hi I am new to the site. I am desperately looking for some help with the rear drum brake on my 03 big bear. Basically I have no rear brakes and I can not get them back. My first problem is I cannot keep the water and mud out of the drum. This thing is JUNK. I have had it apart three times in the last year and I am at my wits end. :aargh: I have just about replaced everything in and around this drum to no avail. I have brakes as long as everything is dry but the first sign of water or mud and thats it for the brakes. I am so frustrated its not even funny. I have even tried leaving the cover off the drum to just let the water in and out at it's own free will. Does'nt work. My buddy has a Wolverine that looks like it has the same axle on the back and his has a rear disk. I would love to convert this. Has anybody done this or know if this is possible? I'm all but begging for some help from someone. This problem has ruined a perfectly good machine. I bought it new in 03 and a new atv is not in the cards right now. If nothing else thanks for letting me vent a little, and you all have a great site here.
Where the dust cover that goes over the rear brake assembaly and put silicone around the cover where it bolts together.

Thanks BuckBilly for responding. I have tried a couple types of silicone, in fact the last time i took the dust cover off I had to use a torch around the thing to melt the silicone so the cover would come off. I can't keep the water out.:bangheadc:

How about the seal on the cover where the axle shaft goes through?

Thanks again Buck. but I also replaced the dust cover (which this seal is attached to). As far as I know this is the only way to replace this seal, $85 part :( like I said I'm really at my wits end here. I'm real interested in the conversion to a disk but I don't want to try it if it's not possible or hasn't been done b4. PA is mainly a lot of big hill riding and I can't go without a back brake for alot of the riding we do. I can't believe no one else has this problem. I see the 07 big bear now has a wet brake. what gives? I guess I'll just remain forever frustrated with this. My next quad will be a kawai. NO DOUBT

I'm not familiar with the Big Bear.Have you looked at other model years rear brake system?If the same machine from a different year has rear disc or wet drum style you may be able to get parts from an atv salvage yard and do the conversion yourself.I think it'd be expensive but cheaper than buying a whole new machine.If you do a conversion;make sure you write down all the info from the donor vehicles.That way it'll be easier to get the proper service parts in the future...

Im no Expert on this but I have had some old ATC's that had the Rear Shoes and Drum....in the dust cover there was a Vent to allow the Water to Escape...Seems like these are only Designed to keep the Big Stuff out....Not Water...If you Silicone everything shut and Water gets in there and Stays you will have worse problems......Have you Tried to contact a Dealer/Shop and get any Advice????? Sorry I cant be of anymore help....I never had this problem with the older ATC's....

Is this what yours looks like.....????

0032.Gif

BTW....Are your Brakes Adjusted Properly????

How long have you had this machine????

Are the Shoes Good????

is the Drum Good????

Seems to me.....With Proper Adjustment and Everything within Tollernce....You should (once wet) be able to "Ride" the Breaks a Bit to heat them up and get them Working again after going through the Water.....