Quantcast

No power to the starter switch KLF 220

Michael France

I have a Kawasaki Bayou 220 KLF220A and I cannot get it to start using the starter button. I have replaced the starter solenoid and the starter relay. I have followed the wiring diagram in the repair manual and it looks like the switch is working well, the neutral and reverse relay have power running through them and appear tp be working correctly. However, I can not find a wire runnng the the starter button that has power on it. Anybody have any idea what the break down is?

More or less, the skinny power power from the solenoid goes to the ignition switch, then off to the run/stop/run switch, and then to the starter button then all the way back to the solenoid again.  There are a few grounds, neutral safety switch, CDI power, etc along the way but that's basically the route.  It's a pretty straight forward pathway of electricity to get back to the solenoid to close the circuit but there are a few stops along the way with a few changes of color of wire.  If you have a multimeter you can do a continuity test on the ignition switch then the run/stop/run switch, then the push button since there are connections for all of those right at the front of the frame under the plastics.

Hey @Michael France welcome to Quadcrazy. 
Agreed with @MarkinAR on all points.  
In addition take  a look at the neutral/reverse relay as well. It should have two black wires going into it as well as two others.  The two black complete the start circuit. Jump the two black wires and see if you get dash lights, start button etc. Just curious to see if that works and you can rule out that circuit as a problem.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?  

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By Admin
      View File 1984-85 Kawasaki Tecate ATC service manual
      1984-85 Kawasaki Tecate ATC service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 03/24/2024 Category Kawasaki ATV