Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Chase Cook

1991 Honda Trx200D Type 2.

Hi I have a 1991 Honda trx200d type 2 ATV and need to know how to adjust the valves on there. The valve adjustments are on the side of the head and looked up videos in there is no videos at all on how to adjust them. I'm taking the head back off to adjust the timing because it's making good spark and getting gas but it's not firing, trying to start but I'm thinking it's because of the adjustments are way out of  line. And I didn't take a picture of how they were before I took the head off.

Hey chase, adjusting the timing ? The timing should be set in one spot only so check that your at TDC and your marks on the sprocket are good.   Once that's done then the timing is set and should not be moved.  After its all lined up the valves can be adjusted by loosening up the valve stem adjusters with a 10mm wrench. You basically stick the feeler gauge (size as per manual)  in between the valve and rocker arm and slowly tighten the adjuster until that feeler gauge slides out with a little bit of resistance. Then you tighten the 10mm nut good and try to stick the feeler gauge back in, It should go in with a slight push.  After that you should be set.  

Keep in mind that intake and exhaust valves are different sizes on the feeler gauges.  

All adjustments should be made in the TDC position.   

• Like 1

Ok thanks

Also the timing looked a little off because I forgot to put the timing chain guide back in.

Oh ok, just wanted to make sure as there is really no adjustment for the timing.   Either its on or its off.  Did you find the proper size feeler gauge for the valve adjustment?

Yes it does expose the valve springs but not the rockers. The rockers are hooked up separate them selves. I'll take pictures of it later

From the images you posted it looks to me that the valve cover or top end cover is held down with some bolts?  Have you tried to remove them? 
I marked them in red. 

9137DCF6-E37B-40FF-9329-9BA28684ED79.jpeg

Yes that's just the valve cover. Then underneath the valve cover is the rocker arm cover I would say.Screenshot_20200407-151323.thumb.png.7d2eedf3703446b2f6d24570fe8bfe8b.pngScreenshot_20200407-151323.thumb.png.7d2eedf3703446b2f6d24570fe8bfe8b.png

Screenshot_20200407-151328.png

Screenshot_20200407-151340.png

Screenshot_20200407-151318.png

Screenshot_20200407-151358.png

Thew way it looks to me is if you pull that valve cover you will be able to adjust valves.  Only one way to find out so pull the cover and lets see. Snap a few pics after its off. 

I will later. I'm going to work right now and won't be back until the morning.I did take them all off though but I forgot to take pictures of it. I need new piston rings because it's low on compression. So I just ordered a whole new top end kit. $70Screenshot_20200407-180555.thumb.png.832fc1be0c456e8b1f1e2dfacbe39a34.png

Screenshot_20200407-180547.png

Good idea and then you can adjust everything properly. Study the manual while your at work if you can.   

• Like 1

I'm back from work and I slept for a while I worked night shift. But here's the pics I was going to send. And the rocker arms are connected separately and they just go one top of the head to adjust the valves.

Screenshot_20200407-151323.thumb.png.7d2eedf3703446b2f6d24570fe8bfe8b.pngScreenshot_20200407-151323.thumb.png.7d2eedf3703446b2f6d24570fe8bfe8b.png

IMG_20200408_134103.jpg

IMG_20200408_134151.jpg

IMG_20200408_134136.jpg

IMG_20200408_134131.jpg

Ok good pics. I see now, the valve adjustment is done by the bolts on the aide of the head and that should be listed in the manual.  Have you located that by any chance ?

E59BE5F0-DF1A-4A48-AA7B-B88B3C47292A.jpeg

That's great info. Now looking at the age of the engine I would set the valves at spec and a hair more due to wear. But run it first and listen for any tapping.
What do you think ?