Quantcast

Starting problem 2004 Suzuki Twin Peaks

I'm trying to troubleshoot a starting issue. For a while, maybe a year sometimes I would hit the starter button and I'd hear a single loud click, but the starter wouldn't turn. Usually if I could pull the pull start or roll it in gear it would then start. (now I'm thinking that was coincidence) Now it only clicks. I tried to check what I could, battery is good, solenoid clicks strong, cleaned all connections (which were 80% clean anyway). I started thinking the starter wasn't spinning. I pulled it and it spins freely. The gear that it contacts in the engine-I can wiggle it maybe 1/16th to 1/8th inch back and forth. When I reinstall the starter I feel it jerk when I hit the button. I'm thinking maybe it's the starter clutch? It seems when there's a problem with them they usually just spin freely and don't engage at all. Is it possibly something is causing it to lock? I'm a bit lost now.

If that starter was bench tested and spun freely and not on the atv it's probably fine.  
Do this; tap on the starer with a rubber mallet while your trying to start it.  If it works then its the starter or brushes. If not then jump the wires (larger ones) on the solenoid with a screwdriver. If the starter cranks then the relay is most likely bad.   You know what wires I'm talking about on the relay yes ? 

When you jump the solenoid is there a spark by any chance? 
Take a tester put the positive lead on the starter wire at the starter and the other on the negative terminal on the battery.  Press the start button and see if you hear the relay click and get a voltage reading on the tester.  If not jump the relay and see if you get a reading that way.   

I get a low voltage reading, of around 2v jumping +starter to -battery. I feel a strong click in the starter when I hit the button. It really feels like it's trying to spin.

Like I had mentioned in the original post when I try to move the gear that the starter gear meshes with it wiggles either every so slightly, but I can't really move it.

If you have a strong click from the starter when you press the start button the only thing that could be wrong would be the starter.   OR the engine is locked up! But since you said the engine runs makes me lean toward the starter.  
When you pull start the engine is it hard to pull start as if the decompression device is not working ? 
Pull the spark plug and try to crank the starter. Let me know what happens.  

first-thanks for taking the time with me, much appreciated. This did happen every once in a while over the last year, but usually worked again if I rolled it in gear or pulled the cord. I thought it was something where I just needed to move the pistons a bit.

I can pull the cord, but it's hard as heck and I definitely can't start it that way. I've never had to use it to start, is there a decompression lever somewhere. I had a DR350 that had one, but I don't know on here. Weather is crappy today so I'm not sure I can do the other test, but will as soon as possible.

Your welcome on the help but its no biggie. 
The decompression lever is usually at the top of the engine.  Take a look there for it and definitely pull the spark plug and see if the starter will crank the engine.  It could be a broken spring on the automatic decompression device which is located on the cam shaft.  But that depends on the model and if yours has one.  I would have to look at the manual to verify.  Im just going off of the top of my head on what a lot of the atv engines have built in.  

ok- now I'm even more confused. Pulled the rear plug-made no difference. Put it back in and tried the pull start. Almost sounded like it might turn over, but really hard to pull. Figured I'd clean things a little while I had some plastic off. Hosed down a little, hit the starter for kicks and it fired right up. Turned it off and on a few times and all normal. What the heck?

Sounds like the starter clutch went. Listen brother I'm sure your more then capable to fix this machine but your probably doing more harm then good by not listening to what we are telling you.  The trick here was to pull the plugs and crank the engine to see if the starter worked. If it did turn with the starter button then it would tell you if the decompression device is failing.  If you keep trying to crank the engine and think its magically going to fix itself its not.   Im not going to say for sure the high compression broke the starter clutch but its possible.  
I also am telling you that testing leads to results, its a process of elimination thing.   
Please don't take this the wrong way but i am calling it like it is.  You haven't posted one answer to what we suggest to do here.  If you did try any  those things we would not know based on your responses.  

maybe I'm not a good communicator, I thought I did everything you suggested.

1 Pulled starter, it worked fine out of quad

2 tapped installed starter with mallet-still just click

3 jumped soleniod-click

Take a tester put the positive lead on the starter wire at the starter and the other on the negative terminal on the battery.  Press the start button and see if you hear the relay click and get a voltage reading on the tester.-got a 2v reading/relay clicked as it had been doing

5 When you pull start the engine is it hard to pull start as if the decompression device is not working ?  very hard to pull-never used it so I don't know what's normal

Pull the spark plug and try to crank the starter. Let me know what happens. Same-click and no spin

Figured I'd clean things a little while I had some plastic off. Hosed down a little, hit the starter for kicks and it fired right up. Turned it off and on a few times and all normal

Went to start it again and something must have let go-now it's spinning like there's no resistance at all. (attached media file with sound)

What did I not do, did I miss something?

Edited by Jeff Miller
  • Like 1

Pulled plugs and just got the click, no cranking/spinning-replaced them and then it started normally-then something must have let go and it just makes the noise I shared. I can't start it with the pull start-it was always extremely hard to pull, even new. I don't think it's any different now.

Ok well that leads me to believe its not the decompression device.  That engine should have cranked without the plugs in. Especially easy on the pull start side.  Your going to have to pull the clutch cover off to make sure there is no  bind  up in there. You have to find out what's causing this resistance.    
As far as the noise, it sounds like a starter  clutch.   Thats the left side of the engine cover.   

Ok be sure to post pics and take your time.  A problem like this can be frustrating.   
Ask as many questions as you want and the key here is to not cause more damage. I think your going to have to check the timing for sh*** and giggles (it's probably ok) but just want to go through the usual suspects.  
Valve clearance, take a look. Do you have the manual  for the atv? service manual