Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jeff Miller

Starting problem 2004 Suzuki Twin Peaks

Posted (edited)

maybe I'm not a good communicator, I thought I did everything you suggested.

1 Pulled starter, it worked fine out of quad

2 tapped installed starter with mallet-still just click

3 jumped soleniod-click

Take a tester put the positive lead on the starter wire at the starter and the other on the negative terminal on the battery.  Press the start button and see if you hear the relay click and get a voltage reading on the tester.-got a 2v reading/relay clicked as it had been doing

5 When you pull start the engine is it hard to pull start as if the decompression device is not working ?  very hard to pull-never used it so I don't know what's normal

Pull the spark plug and try to crank the starter. Let me know what happens. Same-click and no spin

Figured I'd clean things a little while I had some plastic off. Hosed down a little, hit the starter for kicks and it fired right up. Turned it off and on a few times and all normal

Went to start it again and something must have let go-now it's spinning like there's no resistance at all. (attached media file with sound)

What did I not do, did I miss something?

Edited by Jeff Miller
  • Like 1

What i was getting at was no spark plugs at all and see if the engine cranks.  If not then it may not be the decompression device and need to look elsewhere. That spinning sound your hearing Im assuming is the starter clutch.  Is the pull start working ? 

Pulled plugs and just got the click, no cranking/spinning-replaced them and then it started normally-then something must have let go and it just makes the noise I shared. I can't start it with the pull start-it was always extremely hard to pull, even new. I don't think it's any different now.

Ok well that leads me to believe its not the decompression device.  That engine should have cranked without the plugs in. Especially easy on the pull start side.  Your going to have to pull the clutch cover off to make sure there is no  bind  up in there. You have to find out what's causing this resistance.    
As far as the noise, it sounds like a starter  clutch.   Thats the left side of the engine cover.   

Ok be sure to post pics and take your time.  A problem like this can be frustrating.   
Ask as many questions as you want and the key here is to not cause more damage. I think your going to have to check the timing for shits and giggles (it's probably ok) but just want to go through the usual suspects.  
Valve clearance, take a look. Do you have the manual  for the atv? Service manual ? 

I did just get a service manual. It looks a little intimidating to get to the starter clutch. I'm hoping I see something obvious when I pull the cover. I will take a look at the other stuff as well. Thanks

20200414_151156.thumb.jpg.ba92e74364e825fd4823e29cc369cc04.jpg20200414_151149.thumb.jpg.a3dec9bd315aa767682038472d17227c.jpg20200414_151109.thumb.jpg.29908e6a70598b9753a36201e53893e6.jpg 

Okay-got inside.

Obviously you can see the broken teeth on the starter clutch gear. It seems that double gear linking the starter gear to the clutch gear is called the torque limiter in the manual. I can rotate everything by hand from that gear only in one direction-makes me think the clutch is doing it's job. 

The torque limiter gears float, I don't know if they should? I can move them in and out, I tried to capture that amount in the 2 photos that look the same and video.

My next problem is removing that assembly as I don't have a flywheel holder tool.

I don't know if the broken teeth/floating gears are the problem or damage from it?

thanks-where are you located btw-I'm in NY

That to me seems like the engine kicked back almost like a backfire.   The engine cover should stop the floating of gears when its installed so i don't think that's a problem.  
I am going to say at this point your going to have to definitely check your timing to see thats all in order. 
Im in the city. You?

I'm up in Orange Country, right by Stewart Airport.

I will check the timing. It didn't have any running issues if that matters.

Would that possibly point to the decompression rig then too? Seems like whatever is going on must be pretty violent to do that. It did have that starter lock periodically over the last year or so.

Any idea if a flywheel puller is something I could get via Autozone or would it be very specific? 

Based on that photo i feel you can get a regular three claw puller on that flywheel.   Auto parts place will have that.   Just be careful that you don't damage the end of the shaft with the puller. 

I think you're right, I was talking to a local friend earlier about it. I'm going to see if I can get that off and then assess where I'm at.

Posted (edited)

Good idea.  You can use a pipe cap to cover the shaft.   Either a half inch or three quarter black pipe end cap.  Sit it over the shaft and put the puller on.  
Keep me posted.   Im curious to see whats going on.   

Edited by Frank Angerano