Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Starting problem 2004 Suzuki Twin Peaks

20200414_151156.thumb.jpg.ba92e74364e825fd4823e29cc369cc04.jpg20200414_151149.thumb.jpg.a3dec9bd315aa767682038472d17227c.jpg20200414_151109.thumb.jpg.29908e6a70598b9753a36201e53893e6.jpg 

Okay-got inside.

Obviously you can see the broken teeth on the starter clutch gear. It seems that double gear linking the starter gear to the clutch gear is called the torque limiter in the manual. I can rotate everything by hand from that gear only in one direction-makes me think the clutch is doing it's job. 

The torque limiter gears float, I don't know if they should? I can move them in and out, I tried to capture that amount in the 2 photos that look the same and video.

My next problem is removing that assembly as I don't have a flywheel holder tool.

I don't know if the broken teeth/floating gears are the problem or damage from it?

thanks-where are you located btw-I'm in NY

I'm up in Orange Country, right by Stewart Airport.

I will check the timing. It didn't have any running issues if that matters.

Would that possibly point to the decompression rig then too? Seems like whatever is going on must be pretty violent to do that. It did have that starter lock periodically over the last year or so.

Any idea if a flywheel puller is something I could get via Autozone or would it be very specific? 

Reading along here...it's not completely unusual for a starter on an small block chevy to quit working due to oil gumming up the brushes.  You can pull the starter off and it spins, but not under load.  If it were me, i'd wash the starter good in gas and spin it quite a bit by hand.  Hit it with compressed air and let it dry then reinstall and try again.  I'd almost bet there is debris or corrosion keeping the brushes from contacting enough to pass a high enough voltage to turn the motor over.

On a chevy small block (One of my favorites) btw... The starters usually get stuck when the shaft gets eventually gets coated in a heavy grease and sediment buildup. The starter wont engage the starter gear  to the flywheel Thats why tapping it with a mallet usually works to free it up. Especially in the colder months.  I love, love, love my small block engines.  Built thousands!! Fast ones. 
Anyway if you see the gear that is broken is why the flywheel is getting pulled. Something kicked back and sheared a few teeth off.  So now a fix and then a reason as to why it blasted a few teeth off. I was thinking some sort of kick back/backfire? Maybe a compression issue with the automatic decompression device ? 
Whats your thoughts on this  @MarkinAR?

• Like 1

Still don't have the tool to pull it all yet. I am aware of not hitting the starter until things have stopped moving-It's certainly possible I did once or twice, especially if the clutch was failing. This thing has led a pretty easy life for a quad in general-not that I couldn't have accidentally hurt it ;) I'll take a look at the clutch and of course replace anything that looks suspect there as well as check the decompression rig. 

Edited by Jeff Miller

• 1 month later...

quasi update-

pulled it apart-the only thing visibly damaged is the starter gear teeth in the previous pictures. The one way clutch seems to work spinning by hand-goes one way, is locked the other. I've been having a heck of a time getting parts, everything backordered. I was waiting on two different places that fell through. Just found one on ebay-new today. More waiting....

I've never seen a Suzuki model like that around here but it sure looks like the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 I'm dealing with. Has the exact same failure - broken starter gear.

According to the info I found in a Kawie forum, these gears were known to break and were eventually beefed up by the factory. Replacement parts from 2012 and up were what was recommended.

Still waiting for the new parts to arrive, sounds like that's a common issue everywhere eh?!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 8:08 PM, MarkinAR said:

I just fixed one that the one way clutch bearing was fine by hand but slipped with the kick start. If you have to replace it go OEM even though they're high. I've seen cheap ones shred the primary clutch nose. 

How would I know that the original is no good? I don't want to miss anything while it's apart, but I also don't want to waste money.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, spock58 said:

I've never seen a Suzuki model like that around here but it sure looks like the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 I'm dealing with. Has the exact same failure - broken starter gear.

According to the info I found in a Kawie forum, these gears were known to break and were eventually beefed up by the factory. Replacement parts from 2012 and up were what was recommended.

Still waiting for the new parts to arrive, sounds like that's a common issue everywhere eh?!

You're right on it being a mirror of the Kawi. I just got the gear, new, via ebay. I'd feel better knowing that it was a common failure vs something else going on that I can't figure out. Is there a way to know if I got the updated version, or is it safe to assume since it's new? Thanks

• 1 month later...