Quantcast

Paint ATV body

Hello 

I want to paint the body on my 1999 Suzuki King Quad 300. The original color is Tan. Does anyone have any experience in painting smooth plastic. What preparations need to be done,maybe sand body to ruff it up so paint sticks or some type of chemical cleaner also can you please recommend the correct paint I need I would think something flexible 

Thanks

Wrapping is always the best way go and get the best results. Problem is its super expensive and a lot of members look for inexpensive alternatives.  We also pick up atvs that are long dead and bring them back to life, old ones so some painting ideas and some restoration is part of the reward.   It's interesting to see what one can come up with from there garage! 

I've tried sanding, torching and primers/adhesion promoters (sometimes all at once) I like the slightly rough, matte look, One reason I prefer to keep the surface slightly "rough" is it leaves lots of tiny nooks and crannies for the primer and paint to cling to.

I've used the below technique on old quads and numerous Barbie Jeeps, Razor mini-bikes and other assorted ride-on toys.

Depending how old and abused the quad is, you may need to scrape in a few places, particularly if it has spent years outside in the sun. 

- Sand with a 150+ grit sandpaper.
- Hit it with a torch. This will help burn off mold release chemicals in the plastic as well as smooth the surface out a bit.
- Spray with adhesion promoter/ primer.
- 2 coats of spray paint

Because the  original panels are molded with colored plastic, scratches show the same color as the panel itself. Once painted, deep scratches show as the original plastic color. But, they're easy to touch up, and frankly I do this to toys that still have a lot of life left in them, but don't look like it.

All the prep work in the world will only allow paint to stick for so long. That ABS on ATVs isn't quite auto bumper ABS so it won't quite last the same. You might get a year of it looking good. There has to be some heat or other method to really bring life back plastic...it just hasn't been found yet. 

Oh, and tried plastidip. It comes off at your heels in 2 hours. Sticks decent as long as it doesn't get rubbed. 

• 2 months later...