Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

1987 Suzuki LT250 won’t start

Hey there! New guy here! So I bought an 87 250. I turn the key and it has ignition light. I press run and the engine turns over. Guy I bought it from said the carbs may need cleaning, I worked them good cleaned and blown out. I reinstalled the carb and still doing the same thing. It’s getting fuel, the battery is brand new and charged I’m lost here!( purchased a new carb on its way) anyone have any ideas

04B4661B-D3B8-4E21-866D-093D0C406756.jpeg

After you turn it over a bit, does the plug get wet with fuel?  If there is fuel in the bowl and spark, then the issue could be timing is off (could be sparking at the wrong time), valves could be tight or loose, flywheel keyway could be sheared.

I'd start with checking timing to make sure it's spot on at TDC, then hit it with a touch of ether and see if it'll bust.  If it does, then it's a fuel delivery issue.  Have to go back into the carb and check the jets as there could be an obstruction.  If it doesn't at least try to bust on ether then i'd look at compression.  Could be that it has too little to run due to stuck or worn rings.

That thing is beautiful for an 87, what a find!

Edited by MarkinAR
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• [[Template core/front/widgets/relatedContent is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Similar Topics

• By mpovah
      Hi all, new member here. 
      Picked up a really cheap non-runner last night from a neighbor. He had gotten it from someone else who had rebuilt it a few years ago and it has decorated his garage since.
      It is an early-90's (1992 or 93?) Suzuki LT250, but the weird part is the engine is a neon green color. I am now wondering if someone swapped the original motor out of this quad. Does anyone have experience with these that could give me a pointer as to what this could have come out of? I have heard that some Arctic Cat models had the same Suzuki motor - could that be where this came from? It is a 2WD, and has the typical chain drive/RWD system with both front and rear (rear drum) brakes. Very little rust and mostly complete, for the price I paid it isn't bad, but I am not sure how to pinpoint the engine type, and I would like to have that figured out.
      Just want to make sure what I am dealing with before ordering parts. I will need a carburetor by the looks of things, and air/oil/fuel filters, plugs, etc. 
      Thanks in advance for any help, appreciate your experience with these quads. 
      Matt
    • By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By Brent Wright
      What's a good size to start a 10 year old on?
    • By VikingTrad3r
      picked up my third timberwolf 250 for my daughters.  these are great light weight little quads.

have a strange one for you.  the quad will NOT start in neutral.  it will start in first. 
      if i lift up on the gear selector just enough to hear the little click (its not loud, sounds like a contact clicking, perhaps the neutral safety switch?) the light will go out, but it won't yet be in first either.  that is how i have shown my daughter to start it and she can.

id like to carry out whatever repair is needed.  i have the pdf of the shop manual but it doesn't really have a flow through diagram.

any help appreciated!  thank you.
      i need to add something.  it feels like i can switch into another gear BELOW neutral.  
      so if i switch to neutral, i can keep pushing the gear selector, and it has another click below the neutral.  the light stays on, and when i pull up into first it kind of feels like it has two positions it moves through to arrive at first.
    • By RCNY1
      Hi folks, I recently purchased I believe an 02 Kodiak 4 x 4 it was stored outside, put a new battery in it still nothing kept playing around with the shifter suddenly the neutral light came on and it cranked right over no problem few days later same issue this time I can’t get the light to come on anything common I should be looking for ?