Quantcast

Full Choke Only Suzuki QuadMaster 500 2001

jimybud

Below is a quote from a response to similar question from yesterday: 

"Easiest thing to check is trash in the main jet.  if it idles fine, then the idle circuit and low speed jet is clear.  if it bogs off idle that's when it's transitioning to the main jet." 

I will go ahead and open up the carb and check the main jet, but please respond to this post as if the main jet is squeaky clean.

Below is my post:

Only starts and runs on Full chock. 

Does not matter what position I have my "mixture" screw.   Tried it at zero, 1 turn, 2 turn, up to five turns.  Spent a few hours confirming that the position of the mixture screw does not resolve issue.

Runs great at idle and if I slowly engage throttle, it will rev up as expected.  But, quick rev up or when I am trying to drive it, it spits and sputters and looses power.

I also use a propane bottle and did not find any obvious leaks, and the vacuum port is hooked to fuel peacock and I also made sure to simply block the port with my finger to see if that would resolve the issue.

New Carb (after market), New Coil, Fresh Gas.  No leaks at manifold boot, hot battery.  Good gas flow.    Runs too good to be a valve issue, or cylinder, great compression.

I can move the choke out a tiny bit, and it will still run, but will still bog down when I try to power it up.

I also have a 250 trail boss Polaris that I require to run at full choke, but it has power at all throttle potions.

I suspect it is running rich as the choke is on, but will not run with it off.

Any details would be appreciated.

Ha, that response sounds like something I would say. :)

so yes, most likely just flooding itself to death.  I'm assuming by aftermarket carb you mean a chinese clone?  The jets on those are NOTORIOUS for not being stamped, stamped wrong, way wrong size, just junk in general.  I've used a few out of necessity and they either fire right up or you spend time tinkering to get them to 80%.  Do you have the OEM?  If you do use the original jets in the clone carb, that works sometimes.  I've also had the clone carbs come in with the float terribly high or low, give that a check also.

Your situation reminds me of a clone carb on a ATC 185s I had a while back.  Couldn't get that thing to run for anything if you stabbed the throttle.  This issue was the carb passages were wrong not just the jets.  I ended up putting a small main jet and raising the needle a clip or two and got it to about 90%.  Good enough to pop wheelies non stop because that's what 3 wheelers are for!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By Louznmemind
      Howdy y'all, I'm trying to fix a neighbors 2015 Brute Force 300. Came in with hard to start and won't idle except on choke issue. I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet as well as the emulsion tube partially clogged. Cleaned up everything, put it back together, still having issues...  It will start right up on choke and will also start off choke if you give it just a touch of throttle but it absolutely will not idle unless it's choked just a touch. Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming the "dial" thingy attached to the carb that turns in and out is for setting idle?? 
    • By dhallftworth
      Hi everyone, I received a 98 Yamaha Timberwolf from my brother for free, and I'm working on getting it going. 
      I am having the following problem: 
      The engine is backfiring through the carb. 
      I have done the following to try and get the four wheeler running: 
      Rebuilt the carb and set the air screw to 1-1/4 turn out and the circlip at middle position 3
      Replaced the coil, because the cable was loose at the coil end
      Repaired the main ground, coming from the battery
      Replaced the ignition switch, because my brother couldn't find the key. New switch tested good
      Tested the kill switch and it tested good
      New coil tested goodfor both primary and secondary coils
      Pickup coil resistance is at 195, which is correct
      My source coil, is where I believe the issue is. The resistance is 310ohms, and it should be between 428-523ohms
      When I opened the stator housing, there was significant oil, which I have read is normal. Does it sound like I'm on the right track replacing the source coil? Could this be causing my backfiring issue? It looks like the source coil is part of the stator assembly, is this correct? 4BD-85510-20-00 STATOR ASSY
    • By p5200
      I added more fresh gas it sat one day now, it's acting up again. Before cleaning out carburetor it wouldn't idle good and had gas leaks from carburetor. Now it idles pretty good but, if I increase throttle speed at a certain amount it starts missing bad. I'm going to try and post a short video. Just about ready to give up on this thing.😒  you can see reflection perking in video.

20240217_114429.mp4
    • By Spritee1
      polaris 2008 50 outlaw automatic: got the 50 for free. would only run with chock on, replaced the carburator with new. I can't get the unit to an idle where the machine doesn't move forward. if I do get it to idle down within a few moments it will die. got something to try?