Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2018 Polaris Ranger 150 EFI questions

erkme73

I recently purchased the subject UTV for my kids.  It's my first Polaris (other wheeler is a Teryx4) - and my first-ever single-cylinder vehicle (even my mower has more)...

1. Valve lash adjustment values... The operating manual recommends verifying at specific intervals, but does not provide the clearances or procedure.  Any idea where I can obtain those?
  2. Tach on the display shows about 1500RPM when at idle, and about 6000 when WOT at max speed (30MPH).   Does that seem correct? The engine does not SOUND like it's going that fast, but that may just be my unfamiliarity with single-cylinder engines. 
  3. The idle feels mildly rough - and the tach shows a fluctuation of about 50 rpm.  It's not wild, but it is noticeable.  Again, without any point of reference, I do not know if that's just the nature of the beast, or if I should be concerned.
  4. The front wheels spin freely in the forward direction (mild brake noise can be heard), but when rotating tires backwards, the brake pads grab the rotor with significant force - making it nearly impossible to turn the rotor by hand.   Considering the cost of new rotors and calipers, I'm hoping there is a know 'fix' for this issue.

Any help would be appreciated!  My kids can't wait for me to give it the "all clear".   Still waiting on helmets to arrive from Amazon, so I have a couple of days to get all the maintenance and repairs completed.

• Admin changed the title to 2018 Polaris Ranger 150 EFI questions
  • 4 months later...

No, I have not gotten around to it.  Winter weather made riding a lower priority.   However before putting it away, I did manage to do full service on it (myself), replaced both calipers ($60 for both on eBay), downloaded the service manual for it, and used sea-foam to get it to run smoothly.   Quite happy with it.

As long as you take care of it, it will treat you good. My daughter and her friends put over 700 mi on hers last year. That doesn’t sound like a lot until you figure I only have 2.5 acres that my house sits on, so many laps. Lol. The drive chain requires constant attention, lube and adjusting. If you can’t hear is slap when it gets loose you will be able to see the rearend buck when starting from a stop. Don’t lose the code for the PID if you have one set, can’t remember if the ‘18s have that or not. You will have to take it to a dealer who will have to send a service report to Polaris to try and get it back. If riding in wet areas be sure to check on the air filter and keep the cooling fan clean and clear of debris. Mine had a slew of issues when I bought it but the dealer replaced the harness, the PID, and a sensor. The only other problem I saw was with a new one and the temp thermistor, it was or went bad right after it was sold.  Everything has been good since then. Hopefully this year it gets a bunch of upgrades. 

• Like 1