Quantcast

2020 Sportsman 570 Eps- any need in a diagnostic tool?

Mark Gibeault

Hi. Yes the ecu do store the diagnostic trouble codes at least, but I don't think that a stand alone obdii will be any use because they mostly only gather the mandated information relating to emission control systems, and from the mandated automotive ecu address.. Laptop obdii and general probing software, and a suitable connector cable, can connect and gather information; they use the same communication protocols. The problem is that you need to know which wire to query, and then where in the ecu table of addresses the  information you want is, and the manufacturers don't want you to have that information. There are ways to trial and error and find what you want out of an ecu but it's time consuming. It's also possible to find the addresses you want by using the manufacturers licensed software(if you can borrow a setup), and monitoring the communication going in and out of your laptop, and finding the addresses it's questioning, and the answers returned. This though all requires a good understanding of what it is you are looking for, and then when you have the raw data, it needs some processing to turn the binary information into meaningful figures. It(the raw data) always has to be either multiplied or divided and/or have some sort of adjustment figure applied to it.

I think really that the short answer is... no.

Ha. No trouble Mark. My son just got a canam and is a bit bummed out he needs go see the dealer to have his throttle reset, which is a scam !  I might have to have a go at hacking that one day... it's a lot of work for only one bike though.

Are you sure there isn't some way of getting the trouble codes out by pressing buttons while you turn the key on, or something like that ? Sometimes holding the brakes on, and a button..  A lot of makes do allow that.

Not sure if this applies to your model Mark... 

EFI DIAGNOSTICS
Instrument Cluster Trouble Code Display
NOTE: The diagnostic mode is accessible only when the check engine MIL has been activated.
Use the following procedure to display diagnostic trouble codes that were activated during current ignition cycle
causing the MIL to illuminate. Diagnostic trouble codes will remain stored in the gauge (even if MIL turns off) until the
key is turned off.
NOTE: If there is a diagnostic problem with the power steering system, the power steering MIL will illuminate
and blink in place of the check engine MIL.
1. If the trouble code(s) are not displayed, use the MODE button to toggle until “CK ENG” displays on the information
display area.
2. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the diagnostics code menu.
3. A set of three numbers will appear in the information area.
• The first number (located far left) can range from 0 to 9. This number represents the total number of trouble code
present (example: 2 means there are 3 codes present).
• The second number (located top right) can be 2 to 6 digits in length. This number equates to the suspected area
of fault (SPN).
• The third number (located bottom right) can be 1 to 2 digits in length. This number equates to the fault mode
(FMI).
4. If more than one code exists, press the MODE button to advance to the next trouble code.
5. To exit the diagnostic mode, press and hold the MODE button or turn the ignition key OFF once the codes are
recorded.