Quantcast

Removing tire from rim (breaking the bead)

Anyone ever try this method for removing a tire from the rim? I tried the bottle jack method, but the jack kept slipping down the tire.

This option seems to focus the pressure right at the bead, but I'm wondering if there are other options that you've had success with.

(the source is here: https://boostatv.com/change-tire/ )

cheap simple atv diy bead breaker

Edited by weekdaze

48 minutes ago, MarkinAR said:

I put a 2x6 about 3 feet long on the bead with one end on the ground and drive my truck up the board like a ramp.  Usually pops the bead right off.

I don't have a vehicle with enough ground clearance unfortunately...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Manuals say use a special threaded pressing tool.

I made a tool from a steel plate that fits in the center of the rim underneath, with a threaded shaft through it, then on top with the threaded rod going through it I have a bit of 4X2 with two 2X1 bits of wood about 4 inches long at each end under that, and then 4 and a half inch long steel strap plates bolted through the 2X1 and the 4X2 at their outer ends. I leave the bolts loose so the steel strap dangles down so I can start them under the rim's lip, then as I tighten the center threaded bolt the 4X2 presses on the 2X1s which press on the outer ends of the steel straps, which jam in between the rim and tyre and press down right up against the rim.. The 2X1 allows the plates to press the tyre down by one inch which is normally enough to get things started moving with a bit of soap and some hitting with a bead breaker..

I made it ages ago and it's saved me heaps of sweat and swearing..

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a LOT of tips and techniques ( jacks hydraulic and handymen, heavy equipment both tracks and blades, tire hammers and slide bars, etc.) Years ago I finally purchased a BeadBuster XB. It has not failed yet. Some tires and wheels take a considerable amount of time repositioning in small increments, but I have succeeded. One nice thing about the BeadBuster is the small size. I travel to remote areas and it is easy to bring with. Wish I had purchased many years earlier. Den

2 hours ago, RamzV said:

If I can't get it by driving on it I usually just cut them off. Which is still a pain in the butt

The important question is what cut-off method? I can not recommend cut-off wheel, angle grinder, saws-all and chisel, or torch. That torch one was not one of my best moments. Den

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 10:02 AM, MarkinAR said:

I put a 2x6 about 3 feet long on the bead with one end on the ground and drive my truck up the board like a ramp.  Usually pops the bead right off.

make sure no one is close by. I have seen the atv tire start to stand up the bounce out. Other than that it does work in a pinch

On 1/9/2022 at 1:47 PM, dewam said:

The important question is what cut-off method? I can not recommend cut-off wheel, angle grinder, saws-all and chisel, or torch. That torch one was not one of my best moments. Den

On 1/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, RamzV said:

If I can't get it by driving on it I usually just cut them off. Which is still a pain in the butt

Cutting or welding on a wheel or tire that the tire is on the wheel can be dangerous. It can build more pressure from heat than you may think and cause tire or wheel to explode or blow the bead (I seen a training video where they rigged a welding rod to self feed on a large truck wheel. It took almost no time to go from 0 psi to 150 psi). If it is absolutely necessary, make sure the valve core is removed and the inside of valve stem is clear so pressure can relieve easily and allow to cool down often.