MacDachshund

1994 Polaris 4 X 4 400

9 posts in this topic

Just inherited this. Runs great. Just a tad over 700 miles. But I have a few questions about it because it does not have an owners manual. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

Where could I get an owner's manual?

What do I use in the radiator? Regular Anti-freeze?

For the oil. Any particular brand of Two Cycle you recommend?

On the left side, right below the gas tank, there is a long white plastic hollow thing that has two lines and the top one says "Full". To me this looks like a radiator overfill (like on a truck) but its cracked and nothing is in it. I was told they never worried about it and just filled it through the radiator cap. Is this OK? Or should I replace that? And if I can fill it through the radiator, how full should I fill it?

The front brakes squeak while your driving this. Is this normal? If not, how can I fix it?

I was told once you can tow a small trailer behind ATVs (like for yard work) but how would you do that? There is no place to hitch anything like a garden tractor (which I know this is not. LOL). It would be nice to be able to have that option while out on the rifle range.

OH! Also. Since I really dont know what kind of care this got before I got it. Is there anything I should check right off like filters or lubing or any other maintainance type stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mac

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

AMSoil and Klotz is good oil.

you can maybe get an owners manual on ebay.

as for hauling. i have no idea. i used to have a hitch on mine..

i will pist pics of howit was connected. maybe its the same. i know the 400 and 250 have major simularities.

as for things to do first.

lube the chain is a must.

and it sounds like you need new brake pads. ebay again.

thats about all i know lol.

OK. Between these answers and the one I got from a Polaris dealer I located in my area (I didnt realize that we had two and I knew that one had went under) I think I'm set. Only one quick question. What should I oil the chain with. WD-40? Seems like that would be less likely to collect dirt and gum up.

Thanks!

WD-40 is ok for a short amount of time. I wouldn't use it always. While at the dealer just ask for some chain lube. I use BelRay.

WD-40 is ok for a short amount of time. I wouldn't use it always. While at the dealer just ask for some chain lube. I use BelRay.

Thanks! When I go back that way (in the next day or two) I'll pick some up.

I've used WD-40 but only because I forgot my lube. It is better than nothing. Some of the cans of lube are like a wax. Stay away from that. Dirt REALLY sticks to it.

hope to see some pics soon!

btw its a srambler right?

also makes sure the chain is not that loose i think it is 1/2 inch of play or 1inch cant remeber. the front brakes might need to be replaced if u can lift it on a jack and take off the front tires they might be warned down.

As far as slack in your chain. I keep mine at atbout 1 and 1/4 inch of slack in the chain.