Quantcast

Getting the plastic off a quad

WantToBe
Go to solution Solved by WantToBe,

I got a quad at the right price... FREE 

I have to repair the brakes and engine so I gotta take off the plastic, BUT that's the issue. The handle bars bracket has got me stumped. When I remove the handle bars you can see a 6mm bolt in the bracket so me thinks unscrew that and all should be sweet. I unscrew it a good 25mm/1" and it feels like there is still more to go but the bracket is still rock solid. I would have thought the bracket would show signs of movement.

Anybody can confirm I should keep unscrewing the 6mm bolt? I doubt I should be unscrewing the steering shaft itself just to remove the plastic.

I am a first timer so do not want to stuff anything up

• Like 1

That plate's probably on a tapered or splined shaft. I'd wind that six mill bolt out a small amount, perhaps six turns, then either use a puller and pull the plate or lever it up, and give the bolt a sharp tap with a small hammer. Don't bash it too hard or you'll bend the bolt. It's not likely to damage the threads if it is a long bolt as you say..  Allen keys are tough. If you are using a puller, press against the allen key and then tap the end of the puller's bolt..

If it's a splined shaft the plate should move with the puller, but if it's a tapered shaft it will need a tap, either on the end of the allen key, or on the side of the sleeve under that plate.. A sharp tap with a small engineers hammer's better than a hard whack with a bigger hammer.

• Solution

Took the 6mm bolt out completely, still the steering bracket was rock solid. Loosened off the big nuts and from the underneath that wasn't going to help. Time to get the 'persuading' tools out. 

After giving it a WD40 squirt I give the bracket a couple of taps with the hammer, nah no good. Next up was the big screw driver, jammed it in the bracket and with a sideways force give the handle a whack. Jackpot, it come loose. Mission accomplished.

Thanks for the advice guys 😉

image.gif

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By mehim
      Hi everyone. 
      Let me explain the thread title. 
      My husband and I are very active in the nudist community, and we have stayed at many and most of the mainstream nudist and clothing optional campgrounds in the USA. We are now approaching our retirement and would like to start a podcast to share those off the road / backwoods / little known camping areas where nudity is allowed. We have purchased a 5th wheel camping trailer with a rear garage for the ATV and now need some good reports on the one to buy. 
      We are most interested in a side by side unit but would love to get your thoughts. 
      Feel free to stop by and say Hi and ask anything you would like to better understand what we are looking for in an offroad unit. 
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you. 

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?  

• By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s