Quantcast

86 LT 230 quadrunner GE fuel petcock

tjakes680

So I have a 86 Quadrunner LT 230GE machine runs great for its age so I know I have to clean my carb witch  im prob going to just rebuild with a Shiny rebuild kit that  ill do this week .But I started quad 2 days ago after  not starting for about 10 days and it was running real bad it was pretty cold out about 45 degrees F so I did some carb adjustments to pilot screw and pilot needle ( air and fuel screw and idle screw ) and got it running pretty good ,I also put the winter summer knob to winter position per manual. So now  quad keeps stalling when fuel petcock is in on position but when in reserve position works fine I topped off tank with True Fuel its all I use (no ethanol) so I guess the fuel filter in the tank is most likely clogged or the fuel petcock may be clogged or not working correctly. My question is do the fuel filters come right out of the tank i see in manual that they are right in tank off the rubber bushing do they pull right out or does the rubber busing grommet have to come out ?And do you think I can blow the line out with air witch im not sure ill do because the filters are very thin and may break or tear any one ever change these filters ?Any help would be greatly appreciated .Im also going to clean and possibly replace fuel valve as I ordered one on Partzilla. Can quad run on reserve? Beside picking up bottom of tank gunk can any harm come from running on reserve as im waiting for fuel cock  to be delivered .Thanks again 

Edited by Admin
Changed word to petcock so to not flag bad words filter

• Admin changed the title to 86 LT 230 quadrunner GE fuel petcock
  • 3 weeks later...

Those fuel pumps are bad about crapping out, but it's not their fault.  Modern gas of the last 10 years or so has ethanol and that turns to yellow crystals in the fuel pump quicker than you'd think.  I pulled one apart this summer that had sat 6 months and the inside of the fuel pump was so bad I couldn't clean it.  Just had to replace it.

I replaced fuel Pump and i still having a problem ! Im getting fuel and its all good but engine is reving super high red lining I adjusted throtle cable took off air box checked all air ducts and lines no cracks or holes I pulled spark plug running rich if i put my hand over air duct i can get it to isle good but with air boxs on i cannot lower rpm of engine! Do u think if i lean out carb with the needle that goes through plunger will that drop idle speed or possibly add another air filter in air box Im using a uni air filter i will put a pic of air boxs and ducts in talking about .Its the black one that goes into the white one when i hold my hand over it it runs great but thats not a fix Could it be a leaking top end gasket on engine or a bad piston pushing to much air ? Im at a loss right now The white box goes into a canvas bag witch is dirty full of dust does the end of this box go to something or it take s in fresh air and the vent line from carb that goes to this white box does that connect to anything i have manual i have to check any advice will help 

D3A516F3-FCE8-4C3F-847A-9C0B81428F84.jpeg

9A3E88C6-7E7C-445F-9C20-1564961EF55D.jpeg

2FC625B9-70CE-4091-A9B7-0C524564E2C4.jpeg

FB136884-9DA6-4F71-99BC-1DB1B1D8FAB6.jpeg

D49B0325-AF3E-4465-8CCF-1AF657EFCE38.jpeg

I just got mine fired up today. She was only running in the choke lever in the carb pulled out and choked on the handle.

It settled down and I was able to close the choke on the carb but still needed it to be choked on the handle (1/2 the movement than with the choke pulled on the carb).

It couldn’t find the pilot screw setting till later in the evening and for mine GE shaft model 2-3/8 turns. I did clean the carb earlier and made sure everything was clean and cleared. I’m hoping the issue was due to pilot a screw.

Next up will be valve adjustment and I’ll report more.

54AEB998-2FAA-4A82-94E9-67DA46445AF3.jpeg

FB348A97-005C-47B7-9E79-B1C1FF9DF9D2.jpeg

5 hours ago, lazypengu1n said:

I just got mine fired up today. She was only running in the choke lever in the carb pulled out and choked on the handle.

It settled down and I was able to close the choke on the carb but still needed it to be choked on the handle (1/2 the movement than with the choke pulled on the carb).

It couldn’t find the pilot screw setting till later in the evening and for mine GE shaft model 2-3/8 turns. I did clean the carb earlier and made sure everything was clean and cleared. I’m hoping the issue was due to pilot a screw.

Next up will be valve adjustment and I’ll report more.

54AEB998-2FAA-4A82-94E9-67DA46445AF3.jpeg

FB348A97-005C-47B7-9E79-B1C1FF9DF9D2.jpeg

I have the manual it says same thing 2-3/8 turns but honestly it was alot less on mine i dont know if its because the new piolt screw i put in from Shindy rebuild kit was shorter then original its the same size needle but after the threads the top where screwdriver goes is much shoter I also had problems with the idle screw was not reacting as good as It used to also replaced it and put a new oring it did help after about 2 hours of adjustments i feel its good I have back brakes and front brake cylinders to rebuild and have to timing chain tensioner and valve adjustment later this month  

So heres my next problem if anyone can help pilot screw out 2-3/8 ths as per manual engine revs high go to use idle screw and it does nothing till i screw pilot back in about 1-1/2 turns and getting slight backfiring Maybe I should change setting on jet needle to ake it richer im about to pull plug to see color! Im really at witts end i dont think or feel like throttle is getting stuck and i took it for a ride and runs great just slight popping no bang no pop when it shuts down if i leave this setting .Could carb body be so worn out inside that needles are a little to big and air is getting in ? It is origonal and is 36 years old 

You have a sticking throttle cable, butterfly, something like that.  Or a massive vacuum leak between the carb and head.  It's either too much throttle from mechanically hanging (cable or butterfly) or vacuum leak.  I'm leaning towards mechanical because if it behaves closer to normal taking half the fuel out, that almost rules out too much air via vacuum leak.  If it were mine, I'd take the carb off and strip it down.  Clean and check every passage and movement of the needle, choke, butterfly.  I'd also check the throttle cable to make sure it moves completely freely not attached to the carb.

I found it was throttle cable the covering is coming loose at the end of adjusting piece and when im working on carb and I turn bars to reach thumb throttle it pulls the wire So I had bars facing the way it was putting pressure on cable I ordered a new cable and will replace it this week Once I figured it was cable i got idle and carb set to normal idle Thanks for advice