Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Can you mix oil?

New bonehead here figuring out the trails! Just got a 2008 Suzuki Z400, and the guy said he just did an oil change, but needs a little more because he was letting it cycle through before topping it off. He says he used ATV Power SAE 5W-40 Synthetic 4T Engine Oil, but the manual just says use 10W-40. He lives a couple hours away, where it's a little bit colder, so I'm assuming that's why he used 5W instead of 10W? Anyways, I only need a little bit more oil, and since it's already new in there, can I put the 10W in and let it mix? Also, does the brand being the same matter at all? I haven't gone out and looked in person yet, but actual ATV oil seems a bit expensive compared to just getting some standard oil at AutoZone, and the online manual I found isn't that clear on options. I'd appreciate some feedback and experience in this area, as well as the best place to get oil and filters when it's time. Thanks in advance!

Since it's got synthetic oil in it now, you need to top up with synthetic oil. It doesn't have to be the same brand, but you should try to get an oil with the same rating... Probably SF or SG.

If you want to change to a straight petroleum oil(non-synthetic) you can at the next oil and filter change.

If the 10 grade oil you are thinking of using isn't synthetic, then you shouldn't mix it with the synthetic oil that's in your motor.

Perhaps it would be easier, and give peace of mind, to do an oil and filter change right now. Then you can put regular petroleum 10w30  in it and have some to top up in future. Petroleum oil's about half the price of synthetic. If you have to buy much synthetic(due to packaging practices) to do the top up, it won't cost much more to buy a pack of petroleum and do a change.

If you look in the workshop manual it says to use regular old petroleum oil. A lot of the more modern oils, whether synthetic or petroleum, have additives in them that aren't really doing anything useful in a motorbike engine, and which could even be doing harm. I stick with petroleum oil in my bikes, and of the spec they stipulate.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Mixing two weights isn't a real problem but if you have pure synthetic oil in there it's not a good idea to mix in carbon based oil. There is however a synthetic blend oil that you could possibly mix without problems between changes. Oil is oil and some oil is a far cry better than no oil.