Quantcast

Small engine repair business work guarantee

In my opinion,  this is a simple question, yet requires a complicated solution.  Obviously,  you would like to provide a long warranty based on your quality work. However,  in many cases, due to poor quality fuel and less then adequate parts, you may not be able to provide the guarantee you want. I would proceed with caution keeping profitability and sustainability in mind. 

• Like 2

I guarantee the workmanship.. But all my work is on used vehicles, and done in accordance with and after negotiation with the customer's needs and priorities. If the work is some compromise, and it nearly always is on some plane, then I advise them of the possibilities and implications.

Clear communication's the thing, making sure they understand what's being done and what might not be, and why. The whole crux of professionalism isn't this do it once and do it right bullshit, it's about your customer being able to have confidence in you.. Ask any lawyer or doctor or accountant..

• 3 months later...

I somewhat agree with Mech somewhat. What I found with a lot of customers is no matter how much talking you do is they only hear what they want to hear. They bring you a boat motor, lawn mower, motor bike or what ever for an oil change. You ask is that all you need? They say yeah that's it. You change the oil and filter then call them to tell them it's done. They say great I'll be by to pick it up later. Three or four weeks later they roll in and haul it out. Thirty minutes later they call back fussing, you changed my oil and now my mower blades are dull and I want to know what you plan on doing about it. You explain that they were offered the three different plans we had to offer and you chose the basic plan that only covered the oil change, They don't ever seem to remember you offering them the super duper plan with the oil change that covered a basic check over, a deck cleaning, blade sharpening if needed, new spark plug and a compression check for $49.95 all the remembered was the $9.95. Oh, they remembered all those other things you mentioned in the super duper plan they just forgot about the $49.95 part. That's one thing I don't mind missing out on by not being in business anymore.LOL

I've always stood behind my work and do so for quite some time.  However, for the idiots that need brake pads and then fuss because it's using oil a month later, I'll tell them to piss right off.  My favorite was a guy that said he needed wheel bearings on a Polaris, brought bearings and everything.  I said you don't need them, the ball joints and tie rods were falling off.  He wanted the bearings put in anyway and then fussed because the wheels were still falling off when he picked it up.  I took my labor charge and sent him on his way.  Said I'd be happy to replace the tie rods and ball joints too, like I said it needed originally.  He never brought it back because he was too embarrassed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By kawasig
      Hello there
      I'm having a problem finding a quality carburetor for a 1993 Suzuki Quad Runner lt-f 250 2x4. I find a lot that have 3-4 star ratings. And all so far don't have the right throttle Cable inlet at the top. The last one I got 4 star on Amazon has a threaded cable sheath rest that could be partially drilled to work. I would prefer to get one I don't have to modify. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    • By p5200
      Hello folks, my machine wound up with I think water in the tank etc. It runs but speeds up and slows back down randomly. When not running I don't see gas dripping  from the drain nipple on bottom of float bowl and drain screw is closed tight. With normal idle speed I see no leaking. When the idle speed increases quite a bit on it's own, gas appears to start slowly dripping from float bowl drain nipple? I'm wondering if the carb is flooding and the gas is actually coming from higher up and just appears, to be coming out of nipple but, is actually running down the sides of the nipple? I put a kit in the factory Mikuni carb last year after sitting for a while and I think the gas in the jug I used had drawn moisture. I plan to pull the carb tomorrow and clean everything out. I was just curious if anyone else thinks it's probably something in the carb and is, acutally a flooding problem? Thanks Folks! 🙂
    • By Mhatayas
      So here where I live in Newfoundland Canada, they let you drive your bike on the road provided it’s registered and insured same goes for crossing highways but on trails you don’t need to be insured. And I don’t even think you need a full license to insure your bike they said it was up to the insurance company. I’m trying to get my old 1985 Suzuki 250 registered they have to do a search for it to make sure it hasn’t been in anyone else’s name first. Hopefully it comes back clean I am pretty excited