Quantcast

Auxiliary plug on front rack, 1999 Yamaha Kodiak 400, adaptor needed.

4nuts

Hello everyone.  First post here. I have a really nice 1999 Kodiak 400 4x4 I picked up a few years ago as the second owner.  I have put around 500 miles on it but just the other day I noticed a small, and somewhat hidden, auxiliary electrical plug.  It is located, and firmly mounted on a factory mount, on the rear of the front rack but in front of the steering column assembly and plastic housing.  I have searched the internet in depth and found that this is in fact an auxiliary plug.  I took the cap off of it and it is a very odd design. It is a female plug with only one receptacle.  I did find online that some of these older models came with this DC outlet and that the machine, when purchased new, would have come with an adaptor for it so it can obviously be used.  Can someone please point me in the right direction where to find this adaptor, its part number, or basically any information that can be of assistance regarding this "new find" on my 4wheeler?  Thank you all in advance.   

58 minutes ago, 4nuts said:

I found some more info on this plug on my 4 wheeler but I have not been approved by a moderator to participate yet.  

You should be good to go now. We approve new memebr content a few times daily, so it could be a few hours to up to 12, depending on the time of day. Now that you have posted, you will not need to wait for approvals unless its moderated content; some links, words, etc. This is to prevent new members joining and spamming the community. 

• Like 1

I couldn't  find the plug  for that in any search. Why  not replace it with a regular  accessory socket?

On my old Honda Fourtrax 300 FW  I  wired  in accessory  sockets  on both the front  and on the rear for running accessories ..  My  Honda  has  Honda's version  of an  accessory socket wired in on the front , but like your  Yamaha , it is not  a normal  accessory outlet  and although the plug is available the price of it is ridiculous.   It uses the  same plug  as  Honda generators  use for their  12v DC outlet for battery  charging.  Most likely the plug you want  is  no  longer  used  by  Yamaha  and they've gone to  normal accessory sockets when fitted to  newer machines.

I'd  clip those wires at the socket and  replace the socket with a regular one that is readily available from  any  RV  outlet.

You  could leave that unit as is if you wish and plumb in new wires and sockets  like I  did  for  power  both front and back

• Like 3

10 hours ago, quadmaniac said:

I think #1  is the plug  https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/atv/1999/kodiak-4wd-yfm400fwbl/electrical-2

#59V-81942-00-00 COVER https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/YAMAHA/1997/bigbear-350-2x4/electrical-alternate

image.png.c170a34cea32478af16c0a5a90801276.png

Thank you very much for your time for the diagram. I didn't think about it but I may just do what was suggested and cut the dang cord and wire in my own auxiliary outlet.  Sounds like a much less expensive option.  Thanks again Dave!

I'm just not sure of the hook up there.  

10 hours ago, davefrombc said:

I couldn't  find the plug  for that in any search. Why  not replace it with a regular  accessory socket?

On my old Honda Fourtrax 300 FW  I  wired  in accessory  sockets  on both the front  and on the rear for running accessories ..  My  Honda  has  Honda's version  of an  accessory socket wired in on the front , but like your  Yamaha , it is not  a normal  accessory outlet  and although the plug is available the price of it is ridiculous.   It uses the  same plug  as  Honda generators  use for their  12v DC outlet for battery  charging.  Most likely the plug you want  is  no  longer  used  by  Yamaha  and they've gone to  normal accessory sockets when fitted to  newer machines.

I'd  clip those wires at the socket and  replace the socket with a regular one that is readily available from  any  RV  outlet.

You  could leave that unit as is if you wish and plumb in new wires and sockets  like I  did  for  power  both front and back

I think you just gave me a good idea Dave being that this connector is not available.  I can cut it off and attach to it and make my own aux. connection. Why I did not think about that before...... no idea?  It is only hot when the ignition is on. Thanks again for the replies.

10 minutes ago, 4nuts said:

Sorry @Quadmaniac. I called you by the wrong name in my answer to you.  My apologies.  Still tying to learn this system and it does not appear to have an edit function or I have not found it yet.  Thanks.