Quantcast

Newby: purchase advise wanted

geezer99

Howdy from Oregon!

I'm wanting a SxS for operating on my own property.  I would use it to haul chainsaw, cables, axe, machete and other stuff to maintain several miles of foot paths.  Also I would use it to make the daily 1 mile round trip to the mail box.  I expect I would use it a hundred hours per year. 

I am grossed out by the price of new machines, and after reading the service manual of a Polaris RZR 400, I am not happy with the maintenance required either.  It seems a used machine has quite a number of areas that would be potential problems if a used machine wasn't kept up properly with maintenance.

4x4 quads seem a lot cheaper, and simpler to maintain, but have the drawbacks of no "bed" and maybe? side-hill stability. 

Your thoughts, please?

tom

Side by sides are great they have a steering wheel which I like, but they are very expensive, I have utility quads and I use them for exactly what you want to use them for, running around my property, I feel like they are more versatile, if you want to haul things use a trailer if you are just going to mailbox no trailer needed , if you want to take them to the woods they are smaller and easier to maneuver and more powerful to climb hills. They all need maintenance to keep them running properly and if not abused they will run a long time without any problems.

Yup, if it's just saving legwork then a quad is cheaper and simpler to maintain. They aren't really safe though on hills towing a trailer.

Having the load on the back if you are carting something on hilly land, is better than towing a trailer... Better traction, safer.

I manage to get most things I want to move on my quad somehow..  I've used wooden outriggers to lug 14 foot slabs of 3x18 inch, and have a bin front and rear that carry a lot of small stuff or loads of metal or shale.

Thank you both for your thoughts.  I have been gravitating towards a quad for the reasons you have mentioned.

Our property is quite hilly.  My 250 beater dirt bike will go anywhere even when wet.  My old Ford 8N tractor will, too.  With simple all season tires, My 4x4 pickup would slide sideways on some of the hills and end up in the creek.  In the winter we seldom get snow, but we do get plenty of mud.  So my thinking is whatever I get it will need aggressive tires and decent ground clearance.

One thing that bugs me about quads is they seem top-heavy.  Any thoughts along those lines? 

thanks again, tom

I haven't noticed any of mine being top heavy, I guess it depends on who you ask and what type of riding they do , if that's a concern I would probably look for one with the widest footprint. Looking to buy new or used, do your homework read some reviews and when you decide on what you want ask the forum, we can tell you what we know, good and bad.

I'm on hilly country too Geezer and I've never found quads to be top heavy. I avoid going around the sides of hills though, but I go up and down some really steep hills. If you've driven a tractor places, the quad will feel way safer.

I've driven quite a few yamaha, suzuki, and honda quads and my favorites are the suzukis. They have firm suspension, though not the best design, and a really heavy and low motor/gearbox. Suzukis also have the best ratios for steep land. They have standard, low and super low ratios, with a five speed box, which is excellent on steep land. The low ratio gives you close ratios and extra torque in the same way as four wheel trucks in low ratio. The lowest gear and ratio is such a crawler that you could literally get off and crawl faster.. haha.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Charlesbrown
      I’m looking for a top end kit for a Yamaha. I would like to see how well the engine runs before spending $6-$7 hundred on oem. Niche has complete kits from $1-$2 hundred.  Anyone have experience with Niche or similar Chinese companies? 
    • By mywifeknowseverythin
      For those of you who are into coffee, I found this little article that might interest some of you.

I admit it. I am a coffee snob. I try not to be obnoxious about it, but let the record show: I enjoy a really great cup of coffee. But pay $4 a cup for it? No way. Even snobs have their limits.
      Over the years, I’ve learned that a really good cup of coffee has less to do with money and more to do with knowledge and care. In fact—and this is the amazing thing—the more I learn, the less I spend.
      BEANS. Purchase whole bean coffee as soon after it has been roasted as possible. Freshness is the key to a superb cup of coffee. Purchase in small amounts—only as much as you can use within 2 weeks of being roasted.
      RATIO. The perfect ratio of coffee beans (prior to grinding) and water is: One-half cup whole beans to 8 cups of water.
      GRIND. Grind your beans as close to brew time as possible. A burr or mill grinder that crushes the beans is preferable to a blade grinder that cuts them. Once ground, coffee should be used immediately.
      WATER. If your water is highly chlorinated use bottled or filtered water. It must be right at 200 F, just short of boiling temperature, when it hits the dry grinds. This is critical to creating a great cup of coffee. Consume immediately.
      STORE. The enemies of roasted coffee beans are air, moisture, heat and light—in that order. Keep your beans in an airtight container that is not close to moisture (sink, dishwasher), heat (oven, stove) or light (countertop). Do not store your daily coffee in the refrigerator or freezer because contact with moisture causes it to deteriorate. For larger quantities of roasted beans that you cannot use within 2 weeks, wrap in airtight bags and store for up to a month in the freezer—making sure the beans are completely protected against moisture. Once removed from the freezer, do not return.
      BUY. Most supermarkets offer high-quality, roasted coffee beans for $.60 to $1 per ounce ($9.50 - $16.00 per pound). Ouch! Discount warehouse clubs like Costco, Sam’s and B.J.’s have considerably less expensive coffee at about $9 a pound for name brands like Starbuck’s and Peet’s. Still, that’s too rich for my blood.
      ROAST. I roast my own coffee for two reasons: It is infinitely better tasting and half the price. I purchase green coffee beans by mail order for about $4 - $6 a pound, depending on current conditions and variety. I started out roasting in a popcorn popper (West Bend’s Poppery II is ideal) and have graduated to a small coffee roaster. My favorite resource for everything from roasting instructions to green coffee beans is http://www.u-roast-em.com/. Owner Jim Cameron has a wealth of knowledge and is anxious to share.
      You won’t believe how easy it is to roast coffee. And enjoyable, too. I roast only one-week’s worth at a time—about twenty minutes. Green coffee beans have an indefinite, useful shelf life of at least a year, and probably two or longer. But I’ll never know. Coffee beans just don’t last that long around my house!
    • By Suzukiquad
      I have a 97 Yamaha Timberwolf and it is beyond loud, is there any good options to silence them or at least make them bare able to drive. I know it has a crack in the exhaust pipe, but even with that fixed its still loud. 
    • By Admin
      Does anyone use GPS, whether on a device or app to record their ATV trail rides? I have been thinking about a section where our members can upload let's say a .gpx file and share their rides on a google map for others to see where there are riding areas. Not sure if this is something of interest or how much it would be used, so just trying to get an idea.
      Importing routes from files like xml, lmx, tour, freshroute, gpx, kmz, kml
    • By p5200
      I've been using Valvolene 10w 40 ATV oil but, it's like $8.00 a quart. Is that about the going rate? Or is there cheaper alternatives that would be suitable? Thanks