Quantcast

2008 YFM350FWAN IRS 4WD Wiring diagrams needed.

westomatic
Go to solution Solved by westomatic,

Yeah I'm afraid I don't have one..  You're up to three posts though.. 

Is the 4x4 shift electric on that ? If it's not then the stuck in 4x4 might be mechanical.. binding up in the drive line. Have you tried backing up and rocking the bike and things while you are trying to get it out of 4x4 ?

It's an electrical 2wd/limited slip 4wd/locked front diff 4wd setup. I have verified that the front diff electric motor is good. There are 4 relays related to the control of the 4WD system. On one of the relays, if I bridge it on the load circuit side, the selector buttons/front diff operate normally. The only issue I have then is the indicator lights don't work properly. I basically narrowed it down to a pin on the ECM that is not supplying a ground to the relay I bridged. I am not sure however if it is because of a faulty ECU or if there is some other wiring related to the control of the ECU (something else telling the ECU to ground out and activate the relay. Hopefully that makes sense lol.

Yeah it makes good sense. Well done. You need the manual alright.

I think you only need ten posts to download it. I see some prat just spammed the whole board to get his numbers up..  Keep posting and you'll get there. I'd download it and post the wiring diagram but you will probably need to read it as well so I'll eave it to you to get.

Once you've got it if you are having trouble yell out and I'll take a look at it and might be able to help with some suggestions.

I had a look in the manuals and there isn't one for that bike. You might have to look at a few of that cc or year in a different cc and try to sort of meld the two diagrams together in your mind to figure what it has.

If you have a model designation off the ID plate I might be able to find a manual.. They have another model designation, something made up of five letters and numbers..  Ed3f2..  Something like that but it might be any letters or numbers.

• Solution

Thanks for the wiring diagram. That's is very similar to what I needed. I bought the manual from Yamahapubs online but the quality was so bad I could barely make out the wire colors 🤦🏼‍♂️ I'll see if I can get my money back, I've had good experiences with them in the past. Anyway, at this point I'm pretty sure that my ECU is bad. 

The manual I bought is for a YFM35FGIX which seems to be another name for the YFM350FWAN. Wiring diagrams are exactly like the bike is. Only issue is the aforementioned quality problems...

Also, this is the manual I had seen on this site: 

Edited by westomatic

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, Mech said:

I think that manual is FAS when it opens..

You need to read the whole manual and follow the diagnostic process really.. You sound like you already know it's better to diagnose and repair the right part than to throw parts at it randomly.

I got it diagnosed and out the door and forgot about this site until now. The manual on this site was probably the wrong one anyway but I'll try to stay semi-active if there are any other manuals I should need. Thanks for your help guys!

• Like 1

Yamaha wiring, and their ignition systems in particular, are absolutely the worst of any make I've ever looked at West. They change everything from year to year and nothing can be taken for granted. Even when the stator or cdi has the right number of wires and the same colours, it doesn't mean they are compatible.

Good work doing a diagnosis and coming to the right conclusion. It's worth the time rather than throwing parts at something when it could just be a broken or shorted wire.. especially if your a mech and have to justify everything you do.. Well done.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mech said:

They change everything from year to year and nothing can be taken for granted. Even when the stator or cdi has the right number of wires and the same colours, it doesn't mean they are compatible.

Agreed, i never did find the exact manual for mine either , it was close enough that i could do wire tracing and little things, but was not exact, for yours with the higher end electronics it could be difficult, i hope you find the right manual.

• Like 1