Quantcast

2005 500 Scrambler having trouble identifying timing mark

p5200
Go to solution Solved by Mech,

I'm having trouble identifying Mark. I know where the mark is in the Stator cover. Is the T at about, the 12 o'clock position in this photo? I've got to buy another Stator cover as the one I have has a hole at the bottom of it. Due to failing eyes, I have a lot of trouble anymore. Thanks! 🙂

20240223_141609.jpg

• Solution

I think you need to clean the rust off. In the two manuals I looked in it says the timing mark is a single small groove/line. It looks like a small chisel mark in the flywheel. There are other ignition advance marks but they are one long mark with a short mark either side.

• Like 1

Yes the timing hole is rathar difficult, a bolt comes out so you can see the timing mark down through the bolt hole, a little small, would have been better if it was a larger hole to look down in. I was looking at your photo i see the T, i would have expected to see an F not far from the T but didnt see one on the flywheel, I do know with the flywheel removed you can see a small line next to the crank shaft for timing, but that for people who are going deeper into the engine than you are.

• Like 1

You dont have to just to check the timing, if you plan on going deeper into the engine to replace the chain or something else you would. To get it at top dead center you will see your T in the inspection hole on your recoil starter cover, it will be at about two O clock, with the crank key pointing toward the cam gear. From what i remember of this engine on the cam chain there are 3 silver links, there are two that line to marks on the cam gear and there is one that line to a mark on the case next to the crankshaft. These are just there for initial installing of the cam chain, to get timing right, they dont stay in that position. So if you pull the cover and they are not where they are supposed to be dont get alarmed.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?  

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By p5200
      Can someone please tell me what size socket I need to remove the valve cover? Thanks! 🙂
    • By Starsat
      The choke lever doesn't stay in position on my 2001 Yamaha Kodiak.  The model is YFM 400.  I have to hold the lever to the choke position manually for some reason.  Any Ideas as to why?