Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

'00 Yamaha warrior - wont start

Guest Gusto

So listen i picked up a 2000 yamaha warrior last year i think.. heh

eithe way it needed a starter...

so i put one on.. along w/ new battery cables, refilled & charged the battery, did the clutch, main/rear sproket, new.ish front tires --- rode it from jan-sept ::: & then it sept after taking on a full day of riding one saturday w/a buddy of mine & his scrambler.. the next day some1 came to buy it & it wouldnt start... so i repleaced the ignition coil on it.. as i put a volt meter on it.. & it had no spark...

Still wont start... i think its the CDI box, but how do i know for sure???

it went from running like a champ... to no spark @ all.. & so yeah its been sitting for a couple months... & i want to get it ready to ride in the snow again.. so what do u guys this is wrong???

should i dump $125 on a CDI box, or could it be a Stator, or just a voltage regulator... the battery is putting out more then enough juice... to power the lights... & u can hear the starter tryin to crank the engine over...

HELP!!!!

make sure your kill switch works, then turn power on and test to see power is going into the CDI. If it is, then it's prob the box, if it isn't then you may have a switch not grounding or a poor connection on the battery. the CDI needs full power to work/test right. Very hard to diagnose without having it here to check over, sorry.

Sorry, but there is no way to positively tell you what's wrong without having it here to test. I don't want to tell you it's something expensive and then it's not. I gave you a couple test ideas there, see what happens!

the weird thing here is that CDIs usually crap out when they are HOT, not sitting in a garage. Did it quit while you were riding it last time? and then start after it cooled down? did you try a different spark plug? yes they fail routinely.

Please do the obvious stuff before you go spending a bunch of money OK?

Edited by Raptor8

• 1 month later...

well i replaced the CDI box.. & got a new battery...

& it still wont start... so i guess it must be the Stator...

I can get a new stator for $125ish from parts unlimited...

oh well... now im in no rush to fix it again.... heh

any1 want to trade...

or maybe ill part the quad out.. heh

Did u check the relay and neutral switches???? I have a stator for a 97 warrior i think it will fit your quad, its brand new, i bought it with the cdi box from rm stator because when we tore down my quad it wouldnt start when we put it back together, it turned out to be corroded wiring, relay and neutral switches and the cdi. Didnt need to replace the stator.

• 4 weeks later...

Check the spark plug boot, it should actually screw on the the wire, and sometimes the wire wears away and loses contact with the screw in the wire end of the boot. Take the boot off, then strip away a little of the insulation on the coil wire until you see fresh wire, then screw the boot back on. This is one of the cheapest and easiest scenarios.

well i replaced the CDI box.. & got a new battery...

& it still wont start... so i guess it must be the Stator...

I can get a new stator for $125ish from parts unlimited...

oh well... now im in no rush to fix it again.... heh

any1 want to trade...

or maybe ill part the quad out.. heh

Did you get this going? What's the status on this machine?