Quantcast

on respecting your elders.......

There is a tombstone on Boot Hill in Deadwood South Dakota that has stuck with me since I first read it as a child. It has a name and some dates and below it is written this:

"Where you are now, I once was; where I am now, soon shall you be."

In the blink of an eye YOU CHARACTERS will be the elders and the subject of humor.

Despite all our hopes, we will not live forever......:yes:

YOU, my friend, go easy!

I was thinking about welding smoke and yes, it is a product of combustion so you could be inhaling some nasty stuff. CO and CO2 in particular can hurt you and you can't even smell it. Take your time and let yer lungs heal. I'm kind of surprised welders aren't required to wear breathers like auto painters are now. IF you happen to smoke, give it up for Christmas OK? I'm within a week of 10 years smoke free now! I'd be pushin up daisies had I not quit.....

Edited by Raptor8

I died of a heart attack in the E.R. they defibrillated me 4 times before I restarted [5 and you go downstairs to the freezer]. I quit cold turkey, that was Dec29,1998. I have not smoked since then.

There are some new meds out that work- he or someone should talk to his doctor. He'll feel SO much better after he quits.

I saved so much money that after I year I bought a new hot tub for CASH $5K which would have been cigarette money... :yes:

I live each day to the fullest. I made some poor choices back when I was younger. Now that I straightened up I am able to own four quads in our family. I always wanted a quad when I was a kid. At least my first ride was a 83 Yamaha IT 175. I respect my elders, but I feel old when someone calls me "maam". I will ride my quad till I am too old to get on it to make up for the time I lost. Z400 forever!

Edited by RockCandyChris

YOU, my friend, go easy!

I was thinking about welding smoke and yes, it is a product of combustion so you could be inhaling some nasty stuff. CO and CO2 in particular can hurt you and you can't even smell it. Take your time and let yer lungs heal. I'm kind of surprised welders aren't required to wear breathers like auto painters are now. IF you happen to smoke, give it up for Christmas OK? I'm within a week of 10 years smoke free now! I'd be pushin up daisies had I not quit.....

We are in talks with Management about getting better packs for us welders. One that seals up like are painter one(they be sweet!!!!!!!). Never smoke , but I chewed for 17 years. Chantx worked for me. I have been told chewing tobacco can be as hard on your lungs in it's own way as smoking.

To make a long story short, Wednesday I found out I had a partially collapsed lung and pneumonia. Scares the $hit out of you when can't breathe. On the brightside I feel better! I won't settle for anything else!

Yeah like I said heart disease does the same thing to ya, it's scary as sh**, but doesn't hurt that much....so weird. Keep your lungs clear buddy and I'm sure the Doc gave you BPmed and blood thinners, plus anti clotting meds, so don't spring a leak! been there hated that! have they done a blood gas on you? it's that little clamp on a fingertip with a red light in it. Apparently you don't need oxygen at home or they would have prescribed it. Hopefully you'll be OK, but O2 is COOL when you are breathless, so complain until they prescribe it if you need it. I haven't got it yet but I'm workin on it....

If you don't know what a cannulus is, that's good: if you don't know what a catheter is, that's even better! LOL! [thats a joke] since I dont know your situation.

SEE some of us old farts KNOW about this shtuff. Only the dumbass discounts the advice of a wiser man, because he will have only one chance to do it.

Take your time and get better, think about SSI, which could lead to SSDI and after 2 years, medicare, regardless of age.

You're young, you'll get better, all the best. I've been thru it, so feel free to PM questions to me.

SORRY, this was NOT where I intended this thread to go but if it does positive good, then it was worth it!

OMG!!!!! I think Ive Aged 10 yrs reading this thread:laugh:

I am a Smoker.....Been a Pack or more a day now for over 25 yrs now.....Chewed before that.....Quit once for 2 yrs then I thought I could be a General Contractor and Build my Wife a house....Everything went to Hell in the first week:laugh:

Blew my L5 out in 1999 and Deal with that Every Day,,,,Messed my Neck up in an ATC accident 4 yrs ago....Deal with that almost Daily,,,,,a yr and a half ago my intestine Ruptured and I was Hospitalized for a week....They wanted to cut me open but I wouldnt have any of that....They also said my Off Road Career had to stop because of this....NOT!!!!!! Oh,,,,,I also have High BP and have had since I was a Freshman in High School....

All this to say......I Hurt Bad:laugh: But its a good Pain:yes:

Hope everyone Feels better !!!!!!!

Well....being an ex-smoker with clogged arteries and herniated L4-L5, I'm glad I paid attention to the signs and quit smoking.....

I hate being one of those "ex-smokers", but I'd rather live through the back pain than live through chest pain and the hospital again.....

But, everyone makes their own choices.......just make sure no one else is effected by it :D

-TomD