Ajmboy

2002 Polaris Xpedition 425 ATV

My buddy is offering to give me his 2002 (I think, or maybe 2001) Polaris Xpedition 425 ATV. I told him I would play around with it if I can find some spare time. I know he's beat the crap out of it, but I'm pretty sure it starts and runs. I think it needs some tires, front rack, and lights, and some other stuff.

If anyone has any XPedition parts or experience, please chime in here. It'll probably be May before I get it, and if I do, it's be a new project to get it up to speed..I guess we'll see.

It pretty much (from what I remember when he used to ride it) looks like:

02044.jpg

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Well I got the 400 Xplorer (2001) Version, and it even almost looks the same. But I bet the motor is different. It's a good ATV it's good on gas. I lasted almost the hole day driving around, and wasn't even near empty.

As for speed. I can ranch a good amount of speed, and it takes off. For offroad use. For trails it can do what it post to do.. If you want to take it thru mud like I normally do now days. It's good and all. But you must get the mud off the raditior after few runs thru the mud. But thats a given.

My buddy is offering to give me his 2002 (I think, or maybe 2001) Polaris Xpedition 425 ATV. I told him I would play around with it if I can find some spare time. I know he's beat the crap out of it, but I'm pretty sure it starts and runs. I think it needs some tires, front rack, and lights, and some other stuff.

If anyone has any XPedition parts or experience, please chime in here. It'll probably be May before I get it, and if I do, it's be a new project to get it up to speed..I guess we'll see.

It pretty much (from what I remember when he used to ride it) looks like:

02044.jpg

If I recall right. Thats a 5 speed tranny. If so that was the weak link on them.

Well I got the 400 Xplorer (2001) Version, and it even almost looks the same. But I bet the motor is different. It's a good ATV it's good on gas. I lasted almost the hole day driving around, and wasn't even near empty.

As for speed. I can ranch a good amount of speed, and it takes off. For offroad use. For trails it can do what it post to do.. If you want to take it thru mud like I normally do now days. It's good and all. But you must get the mud off the raditior after few runs thru the mud. But thats a given.

Thanks for the info! How is your suspension? This machine has had issues from what I rermember, with the front struts popping apart on hard bumps.

If I recall right. Thats a 5 speed tranny. If so that was the weak link on them.

Yep, 5 speed. :frown:

If it has not had tranny problem yet, it probably won't.

Hey gotta love a free quad!

Hey gotta love a free quad!

That is true...

I have a 2000 Xpedition 425 Ive had since new. I have had NO problems with the transmission. I did have the fix done to the tranny when the recall came out in '02. (supposedly a bolt had backed out in a few trannys and caused rear wheel lockups ) Other than that and a set of axle bearings and seal, a battery and 3 sets of brake pads, Ive done nothing but ride this quad nearly EVERY Sunday in mud, water, sand, dirt etc. It has not been babied at all and its always come back for more.

This pic shows the type of riding we do.

1e6592c0.jpg