Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

jpm11681

1988 honda trx250r engine running backwards

have a 88trx 250r that is haveing fireing problems. I quit getting spark and have replaced everything with new parts. with a stock cdi box i dont get any spark. but with a dynatek i get spark heres the funny part. when i kick start it, it fires and runs backwards. sounds like crap. I took it to a mechanic and he started it with a electric starter and forced it to run forward and it sounds great. so why when i kick start it does it run backwards. The mechanic said its the performance cdi box but when i put a stock new cdi box on it i dont get any spark. I dont know what the deal is but any help would be apretiated.

I have never heard of that, but Dynatek is a piece of junk. They have about a 25% fail rate.

So you mean the crank and everything turns the wrong way?

That's crazy talk I tell you, the only way I can see the motor running backwards is if the kickstarter acutually turns the motor backwards and the spark timing is retarded way more than it should be so that it could actually run that way. I just don't see how that is even possible, but I have been wrong before. If you replace ignition components timing can be affected, I doubt it would be enough to run the motor backwards and that wouldn't explain why it runs good if forced to start in a forward direction. My brain just started hurting. I would check and make sure some wires didn't get mixed up some how, and did you replace the flywheel, I suppose if the thing was manufactured improperly and the magnets were out of place, then you could have a serious timing issue.

Edited by DirtDemon