Quantcast

well its been awhile

as the title says, with school ending and summer begining things have been pretty hectic round here so imma fill yall in on my quad life.

the 400ex is for the most part done, ive pretty much got it the way i want it. the carrier bearings are going out on it so i think ill invest on a twin row carrier. now in about a year, we should have made our last payment on the 400. soon after that we will be selling the 400. idk if i will part out the big things or not, its still up in the air. after she is sold i will invest in a new ktm450xc, which at a ceratin dealership is selling for a smoking price at $6,300 otd before haggling...

all this is HOPEFUL. the 400 has been nice, but i finally figured out that the whole reason my motor blew at the begining of the year was because ive been riding pretty much balls to the wall, high revved. its really a shame to get rid of it after all the work i put into it, but hopefully the reward in the end will be well worth it.

heres a picture of how the 400 sits.

100_3445.jpg

I'll bet you will be sad to see her go...:frown:

Going to a KTM will be something else. Why not go for a Yamaha Raptor or something.....

yea it will be a sad day :/

i want something race ready, if i dont go with a KTM ill be looking for a race ready yfz trx or ltr. im not a huge fan of raptors though.

Have you ever sat on the KTM XC models? I have and it instantly made me change my mind about them. They have the most god awful seat I have ever sat on. Very uncomfortable ergonomics. The SX model feels way better. If they used the same seat it would be much better.

i wish i could, the nearest dealer is 2 hours away with that awesome price.

im not really worried about the seat, im always standing or hanging off the seatup due to the fact i have no butt and sitting in even the plushest chair hurts. as long as its reliable, its what im looking for.

but i wonder if the sx and xc seats are interchangable.

I sat on a 525XC today and I didn't think it was bad at all. There are alot of things that are different between the MX and XC machines. Suspension, width, tire size, gearing, etc... The XC is designed for trail use and has reverse, while the MX machine is setup for the track and has no reverse. I ride a machine that was designed for the track, and while putting the larger tires on helps alot, there are plenty of other things that I wish were different. Don't get me wrong, I love my LTR, but I have only had it for a year, and the clutch is almost gone. That clutch was not made to be feathered alot, and when you are trying to squeeze a 49" wide quad through a 49 1/2" trail, you end up riding the clutch alot.

I would personally go with the SX and put bigger wheels/tires on it.

money is an issue, and the SX is 2k+ more than the XC model.

I sat on a 525XC today and I didn't think it was bad at all. There are alot of things that are different between the MX and XC machines. Suspension, width, tire size, gearing, etc... The XC is designed for trail use and has reverse, while the MX machine is setup for the track and has no reverse. I ride a machine that was designed for the track, and while putting the larger tires on helps alot, there are plenty of other things that I wish were different. Don't get me wrong, I love my LTR, but I have only had it for a year, and the clutch is almost gone. That clutch was not made to be feathered alot, and when you are trying to squeeze a 49" wide quad through a 49 1/2" trail, you end up riding the clutch alot.

yea i know, the main reason im wanting the XC is cash, if i could pick any quad, it would be the 505SX for sure, but its high as a cats back. in the end, the only real mods ill have done to it is SX arms and a pipe since i love a wide quad.

I hear ya about the gearing and all. I'm use to the feeling of the TRX, it sets you right in the middle and it is very easy to move around. The KTM made me feel like it was pushing me up over the bars. MHO, it is uncomfortable.

I understand why you would feel uncomfortable on anything but the TRX. Every other sport quad on the market feels like you are sitting high and leaning over to the handle bars. My LTR and my TRX feel completely different, but it didn't take me long to adjust. The LTR is quite comfortable to me now, I just had to get used to it. The only quads that I don't like the feel of anymore are the Raptor 660 and 700, they are just too tall.

Dirtdemon, I think we have the exact same taste in machines. I can't stand the ergos on the 660 on 700s. I rode my buddies LTR for a short time. It is pretty comfortable. I understand that when riding hard im up over the bars a lot but I don't like to be forced there. I like the feel of the TRX and the old R's that almost feel like that back is squating. Like a pre runner truck. Higher up front and the rear nice and low.

This is what I mean

S0164160.jpg

S0384500.jpg

Look how low my back end is. The things frickin' hugs corners like it's on rails.

I understand completely, even though my LTR is newer, wider and easier to ride; I am still more comfortable hauling as* through corners on the R, the as* end squats nice and low and even with the little 18" tires and alot more power, the it is easier to keep the as* end behind me. Too much throttle on the LTR, and the rear end comes right around front. I think the LTR could benefit from another inch or two in the swingarm. Anyway to stay on topic, Powermadd, if you pick up that KTM, I will trade you for my LTR, it is nice and wide just the way you like.:wink::yes::biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...