Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

NVBUSA

Installing new inner boot on a Honda Foreman 500?

Once you have the axle out, cut the clamp off the larger side of the boot and pull back, or take the entire boot off by cutting it. Under the joint there is a clip that you need a special tool to get off, it's a "C" clip. Once that is off, you can use a brass hammer to knock off the joint.

Install the new boot and tap the joint back on with a new clip. Fill with grease and seal the boot.

* Adjusted your thread title

Once you have the axle out, cut the clamp off the larger side of the boot and pull back, or take the entire boot off by cutting it. Under the joint there is a clip that you need a special tool to get off, it's a "C" clip. Once that is off, you can use a brass hammer to knock off the joint.

Install the new boot and tap the joint back on with a new clip. Fill with grease and seal the boot.

* Adjusted your thread title

Do I need to take out the whole axle? I have the boot off, but cannot see the "C" clip, must be up in the joint/ Thanks.

What year is the Foreman? From what I can tell looking at the diagram, the snap ring (#6) is inside the edge of the outer joint housing (#7). Once that snap ring is out, you should be able to remove the half shaft with the inner part of the joint. Once the halfshaft is removed, you should be able to see the circlip(#2) on the other end of the shaft. Once you remove the circlip the inner part of the joint should slide off the half shaft. I realize that the diagram only shows the exploded view of the inboard joint and you are working on the outboard joint, but I am sure they are relatively the same on both ends.

I think the special tool that AJM boy is talking about is a pair of circlip pliers, and if you have ever tried removing a circlip without the proper tool, it can be very frustrating and sometimes painful, a pair of needle nose pliers and a flat screwdriver will work, but I would spend the money on some circlip pliers, it makes things so much easier, they aren't very expensive, and you will most likely use them again in the future. Click the link below, these are what you will need. There are better, more expensive ones out there, but these are cheap and will work well enough.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Edited by DirtDemon

Thanks Guys for the help finally got it. You cannot remove the CV joint at all from the wheel side, it all needs to slide off from the drive side.

Glad to hear you got it done, please don't hesitate to come back if you need anything else.

Can you believe that the Moose replacement boot is too large. Now I had to go back to the dealer and spend $61.00 for a boot. Thta kills me.

Can you believe that the Moose replacement boot is too large. Now I had to go back to the dealer and spend $61.00 for a boot. Thta kills me.

Where did you buy the Moose replacement? Did you look for an OEM replacement from a site like BikeBandit.com?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.