Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

coderunner

Fuel Gauge Replacement 1997 Yamaha Kodiak 400

I have a 97 Kodiak 400 4x4 and the fuel gauge in the tank was damaged when I got it. I would like to replace it and Yamaha has given me a price of $50 for the parts. I have a Clymer manual but it does not give the remove and replace instructions for the fuel gauge only the tank. Any wizard out there that can give me the info or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Code

What are you replacing, the gauge or the level/sensor in the tank? What is actually broken?

The gauge on the top is broken for sure. The level/sensor may or may not be damaged. The parts are not that expensive I just can not find out how to remove and replace them. My manual shows the part but no instructions.

what parts...gauge or level sensor..or both?

I would be interested to know as well. My kodiaks fuel gauge cover is not clear anymore and needs to be changed. Anyone ever popped the gauge out?

I have not popped the guage out on those, but I'm assuming there may be a clip behind it.

coderunner, did you ever get it solved?

I have a 2000 big Bear 400. probably the same part. The guage on mine works, the clear plastic cover is not clear, and broke so gas splashes out. It looks like the silver cap retaining it has little detent clips cut into the side that can be gently un-hooked with a dental pick or similar tool to remove the cover, but is pointless without a replacement part. Anyone have a PN for that? There may be an o-ring in there as well.

OK, I already found the answer to my own question. The guage unit sells for $30, and bezel for $6 from PowerSportsPro.com. Since my guage functions I am ging to remove the decomposed (due to ethanol?) clear part and epoxy on an old watch crystal. If it doesn't work it cost nothing to try.

The clock repair guy didn't have a crystal for me so i epoxied on a clear lens from an old mini-maglite. It may or may not have a problem with the gas, but at least it does't splash gas anymore.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Joe Brenke
      View File 1998 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Owners Manual
      1998 Kawasaki Bayou 220 owners manual
      Submitter Joe Brenke Submitted 10/29/2018 Category Kawasaki ATV  
    • By Steven Alter
      I have a 2018 450 and the digital gause has started flashing on an off while driving. The backlit also goes on and off. It is worse when I hit the gas. The battery died a few weeks ago and I jumped it but its been fine until last night. Called the dealer and showed them a vid and they recommend replacing the gauge and its like 600 bucks. The machine has less than 100 hours on it. I would really hate to have to change it out. also the unit sometimes has trouble starting. Any ideas?
    • By TheFieldJournal
      Hey Guys, 
      I picked up my first ever ATV on friday. It's an 89 Big Bear. It has some cosmetic issues, but seems pretty decent mechanically. I did have trouble getting the idle tuned to the book spec of 1,300 - 1,500 RPM. I took the carb apart and cleaned it out. Somebody must have lost the spring for the pilot screw, as it's no longer in the carb. Also, I have a dual cable carb, I noticed all the IPL's show the single cable carb, but I see others on youtube had dual cable carbs. When I would adjust my idle speed screw, nothing would happen. I bottomed it out and it didn't seem to make much if any difference. When i pulled the carb apart I saw the screw doesn't even touch the linkage, it's too short. Do the two different versions have different length carb screws? I'm wondering if somebody lost the ordinal, replaced it with the IPL number for a single cable carb which is shorter, and gave up on getting the ATV to idle. If you hold the throttle just a bit to get it to the RPM range listed above, it "idles" great. Any ideas? Or any links to the dual cable IPL?
      Have you guys have good luck with the aftermarket intake boots? Or is this a buy once, cry once deal? I'm guessing the OEM units last longer, but there is a huge price difference. If you have had good luck with aftermarket, where did you get it? My current boot doesn't seem to have any air leaks, but it's encased in JB weld... 
      I'm getting a 9th digit check sum error on the ATV when I put the VIN in. Has anybody seen this before on a Yamaha? The VIN  number looks original as well as the paint around it. 

Thanks, 

Scott

• By chuckufarlie
      So I rode my 2018 Kodiak 450 through a bit of a puddle and got water in the ultramatic casing... drained the water but the quad still fails to reach top speed so I figured it's time to pull the sheaves and clean them out.
      When I pulled the primary sheave off, this rubber piece fell out that I can't find anywhere on the parts diagram nor where it might have come from. Any ideas?
      Note, it looks worn down on an angle, so wherever it came from it might have been jammed in the sheave and that could have been what was preventing me from reaching higher speeds.
      Any help is appreciated.

• By David C
      I have the opportunity to pick up a 1995-1999 Lakota 300 with a bad wiring harness per the current owner and found this site in search of a service manual. I'm not much of a talker/poster. I prefer to lurk and get the info I desire, maybe ask a question or two for clarification and maybe interject if I have reliable first hand knowledge on the subject. Otherwise I pretty much just keep to myself, wrench and ride.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      The Hop-Up: You may be saying to yourself, “that’s a chick bike,” and you’re right. But honestly, it’s so much more than that. It’s one badass bike. http://www.quadmagazine.com/quad/features/article/0,24942,1587044,00.html
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By alexcross324
      Hi all, I try to find this manual in the threads but you have a lot of stock here
      Cannot find this particular manual.
      I found it for YFM200 but not sure if they are the same.
      Thanks if you could help me with that.
      Im new here so if I did something wrong, please tell me.
    • By ej200421
      i was wondering if i could get some help. i been trying to locate where the fuel and air adjustment screws are located on my 95 kodiak 400. i think i found the fuel screw.. i know where the throttle adjuster is but i cant find the air screw. or is there an air adjustment on these carbs?
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot