Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

outlander560

1987 yamaha big bear 4x4

Need some info about this atv. Looking to trade my 2007 can-am rally for it. The rally is falling apart and the transmission selector needs a new spring so instead of spending 500 for the mechanic to fix it im getting rid of it.

SOOOOO, if there are any problems with the 1987 yamaha big bears i should know about please tell me. i.e. engine problems, front diff problems, it would be greatly appreciated thanks,

Outlander

Seems to me that a 2007 Can-Am for an '87 Big Bear is not a good trade for you. Even though it may have problems, you are talking about trading for a machine that is 20 years older and is likely to have or develop even more probmlems than the machine you have now. It is likely that the BigBear will end up costing you even more to fix and maintain than your current one. If it were me, I would buy the new spring and fix the thing myself. Just my 2 cents.

i was thinking about replacing the spring. but i dont know if i want to waste anymore money on it. just yesterday the carburator just fell out (haha)...and i heard there are valve issues after 150 hrs....i think im just going to sell it for 1200 to a dealer...thanks for the input demon.

Edited by outlander560

yea the big bear is not going to happen...thanks for the help guys....but we are looking at an amphibious 6x6 or an old u.s. military style coot which is also amphibious

My friend has a big bear sitting in the garage. I'm not sure the year..but like DD said...it wouldn't have been worth it. 6X6 would be cool. If you get it, post some pics.

Well i just got an offer from the dealer to buy the can-am they will pay me 1100, haha im not going to sell it for that low but im curious what do you guys think i could sell it for?

Its a 07 can-am 200cc

1.5 warn winch

trail tech speedometer

rear bumper

radiator guard

Bad

It needs a new spring for the clutch shifter

The foot well plastics are cracked kind of badly

Edited by outlander560

well guys i just took apart the gear case by myself(kind of proud i did it pat myself on the back) very simple design easy to work with....but the 16 dollar spring is a huge design flaw this is the second time the spring broke.... I can't find any pieces of the spring anywhere just metal shavings...but the gears look fine case ha a few very small scrapes in it but its all good...well anyway my point being is that a 16 dollar spring cost me 400$ to replace at the dealer....now i can sell the thing for more...hopefully

I would definately try to sell it to a private buyer, the dealer will never give you what it is truly worth since they still need to sell it again and make a profit in it. I would check classified listings in your area to get a good idea of what other comparable machines are going for. I am glad you decided to fix it yourself for the price of parts rather than paying the dealer way to much for a job that you could do yourself, good job.