Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

pointblaynk

1994 bigbear 350 4x4 shifting problem

my big bear has a problem shifting. it goes into first fine but sometime i have to try to shift a couple times to get it in 2nd and 3rd gear. could the clutches be bad what all could it be? Thanks

The first thing I would check is the shift ratchet, it is on the opposite side of the shift lever behind the side cover. If everything is in order there, you may have to split the cases and inspect the transmission. Could be the shift cam, forks, gears, washers misplaced between gears.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By TheFieldJournal
      Hey Guys, 
      I picked up my first ever ATV on friday. It's an 89 Big Bear. It has some cosmetic issues, but seems pretty decent mechanically. I did have trouble getting the idle tuned to the book spec of 1,300 - 1,500 RPM. I took the carb apart and cleaned it out. Somebody must have lost the spring for the pilot screw, as it's no longer in the carb. Also, I have a dual cable carb, I noticed all the IPL's show the single cable carb, but I see others on youtube had dual cable carbs. When I would adjust my idle speed screw, nothing would happen. I bottomed it out and it didn't seem to make much if any difference. When i pulled the carb apart I saw the screw doesn't even touch the linkage, it's too short. Do the two different versions have different length carb screws? I'm wondering if somebody lost the ordinal, replaced it with the IPL number for a single cable carb which is shorter, and gave up on getting the ATV to idle. If you hold the throttle just a bit to get it to the RPM range listed above, it "idles" great. Any ideas? Or any links to the dual cable IPL?
      Have you guys have good luck with the aftermarket intake boots? Or is this a buy once, cry once deal? I'm guessing the OEM units last longer, but there is a huge price difference. If you have had good luck with aftermarket, where did you get it? My current boot doesn't seem to have any air leaks, but it's encased in JB weld... 
      I'm getting a 9th digit check sum error on the ATV when I put the VIN in. Has anybody seen this before on a Yamaha? The VIN  number looks original as well as the paint around it. 

Thanks, 

Scott

• By Jordan Cody
      Trying to get the schematics for it so I can rewrite it I bought it for 120$ and all wires r cut plz some one help
    • By Hunter Aldridge
      I need help with how the shift cam fork and stuff go back in
      On stator side
    • By Hunter Aldridge
      Some times I get spark some times not can ride then it just dies and wont get spark it has new cdi box and stator but I don't know if it has the pickup coil I'm at a loss
    • By Richard Britt
      Does anyone know if a grizzly parts compatible to  a big bear 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Reece K.
      I just recently bought a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 from a buddy who had the wheeler sitting in his garage for 7 years. I got it home and fired it up pushed it out of the garage and tried to shift it and it wouldn't shift. First it would click like it was shifting, but the wheeler wouldn't move and when I hit the gas it revved up like I was in nuetral. After trying some more it became stuck in 1st gear and wouldnt shift at all. But it later broke loose agian and acts like it is in neutral again. I took the motor off the machine to make it easier to work on.After asking friends they were convinced it was a clutch problem but after opening up the casing for the clutch I don't see anything out of the ordinary and am concerned that it may be a transmission problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
    • By M0BJT
      Hi Everyone
      This is my first post and I was wondering if there is anyone who can help me solve a problem I have with my Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 Fitted with a Mikuni Carburetor . The year of the quad is around 1998, the reason I am not sure of the date is, there wasn't any paperwork and no details on the frame either.
      The quad had a bad leak from the carb overflow which indicated that the float needle valve was blocked or passing so I replaced this and put everything back together. The quad ran really well until I took it onto some rough ground to have a ride around, a few hours later the engine started to run really rough as if the engine was flooding. I have removed the carb again and cleaned the needle valve out and the whole of the carb just in case there where any dirt behind it. Engine now runs fine again but fuel has started to run out the carb overflow again.
      I have tried everything to try and stop the fuel leaking out the overflow but its still happening. My last thoughts where to adjust the float level and its still happening.
      Has anyone got any thoughts on the problem or could suggest whats causing the fuel leaking out the overflow.
      Thanks for reading
      Kevin
    • By Billie
      :confused:need a repair manual or help in what to look for thank you Bill
      for you muddober to make clear to you the neutral light and the gear light
      do not light up win shifting fuses are good Iuse my CAt for hunting im dissable the atv is my leag s thank you
    • By mallen14
      Looking for anybody who can point me towards a free service manual for 1998 Big Bear 350. I found the sticky thread but all the links, from 2012, no longer work. If anybody has one please let me know. Thanks
    • By kingjosk12
      A week ago I could not even get close to starting it. But now I adjusted the valves (exhaust valve was not closed). i got it running but would not run without choke. i adjusted the float because it was to low tried starting it up again and it would not even start. So i went back and looked at the valves and the valve was now open again so i adjusted it and it started right up and ran perfect without choke. So i put it all back together thinking it was ready to go. Started it up and let it run for a little bit. i turned it off and tried starting it again there was NOTHING. took it apart and there was 0 compression and the exhaust valve was open again. I am completely lost need help PLEASE!!!:aargh: