Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

nitro4you

polaris Engine issues!!

Ok I just installed a new motor (My old one blew up piston skirt shattered) I installed everything correctlt..I think! I got it running tonight with no issues it started right up with no issues. I let it idle for about 5 minutes just to let it heat up check fluids etc. I shut it off a few times and it started back up with no issues. So im standing there and all of a sudden it goes wide open so I shut the key off....it still ran, turned of the on\off switch...still wide open running!!!! So i figure let me yank the plug wire...I did and made sure there was no arc and it was far away to not spark.....still wide open running!!!!! so in a last effort I unscrewed the top of the carb that houses the throtle assy and ripped it out and it finally shut off......WHAT THE $%$%$#% happened!!! has anyone ever heard of this ??? there are no kinks in the wires the throttle works fine as far as the cables go but im afraid to try and start it again without someone giving me asvice on this or if they ever heard of this! HELP!!! Ive been working on this thing for over 2 mos!! I just want to get it running correctly!

Dave

You disconnected the plug wire while it was running? No spark and it still ran wide open? Maybe it was igniting on compression at that point similar to what deasels do...but it would really have to be high compression...weird. You have a possessed motor....:confused: Where are you at now with it? Carb off? You gonna try it again?

I was thinking air leak also.get the old can carb cleaner out start it and spray around intake and head if it doesnt stop by then spray it into the carb and that should shut her off if still reving to moon.they rev up hi when you forget to turn gas on and its starving for fuel too. but im the only one that forgets to turn fuel on haha.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 1990 Suzuki LT 4wd need help running issue

my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted

By joseph, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 30 replies
    • 1994 Yamaha big bear 350 Starting Issues

I have a 1994 big bear and I am starting to have issues starting. I put in a new starter and selnoid as the at stopped starting with the electrical but will still start with the pull cord. Where and what now should I be looking at to check? If I turn key to on and the switch to on then hit the start button, the bike clicks and then nothing. Lights still work but no response to the starter. Stumped now. Any help would be greAt.

By Scoopeddad, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 11 replies
    • 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 Issues

I am so glad that I found this site! I have a 2000 Sportsman 500 4X4 and have a couple issues.  The biggest one is that the gear selector mounting bolts to the frame have vibrated loose and I can't find the size that I need on any website.  I do not have any of the bottom bolts or the two side bolts to go off of.  The entire gear selector has come off the frame but is still connected to the shifter linkages.  Second issue is that it wants to turn left and is very hard to steer.  I cannot find anything bent.  Any ideas? Thanks!

By ticketman2u, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 9 replies
    • 1985 Honda TRX250 shifter issues

I just bought two 1985 TRX250's from my father-in-law. One runs great, the other not so much. The one is having issues with the shifter. The shifter seems to be resting lower than normal. When I press the shifter downward, it just pops back up. Any thougjts as to what the issue might be?

By Flanstone, in Honda ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • 2001 Quadrunner 500 Running Problems

Hi all, Picked this bike up about a month ago, and started doing some work on it. I ordered a carb kit from China, but got tired of waiting for it so I went to the bike shop today and picked up a Shindy rebuild kit. Took the carb out of soak, it has been in there for a month, blew all the ports out, cleaned what I could with a guitar string, used air as best I could to make sure everything was clear. After I was satisfied the body was clean I out the kit in it. Got the floats set to 13mm as per the manual (well 12.87 on one side and 12.92 on the other, so close), set the pilot to a little less than 2 1/2 turns out (manual says 2 3/8 turns). Put everything back together and tried to start it, it started and had a week idle. I tried adjusting the idle screw and as soon as I turned it the bike died. Backed it out and tried again, same result. Left it backed out, started it again and gave it some throttle. As soon as the throttle is touch the bike dies. Changed the spark plug for a new one and checked the spark, good and really strong. I am thinking that I have a bad petcock and am not getting enough fuel to the carburetor. So when I press the throttle I am increasing air but starving for fuel, bike can't run on air alone so it dies. Does this line of thinking make sense? I am gearing up a bottle with a fuel line in it, so I can try gravity feeding fuel to the carb, just have to wait for the silicone to dry so won't be able to test till tomorrow.  If it turns out to be a bad fuel valve, I will most likely just replace it with a universal one. If I go this route, what do I need to do with the breather line off the carburetor that used to go to the OEM petcock? Block it off or leave it open? Any help, answers or other ideas of things to check would be greatly appreciated. I have a fishing trip at the end of the month and would love to have my bike running by then. 

By Coyote251, in Suzuki ATV Forum

• 11 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By mmgood
      Hey people
      Question for all, just picked a 1986 bayou 300 thinking of going synthetic any thoughts ?
    • By Arctic Snowdog
      Hi Guys,
      I have a small Sled Dog business and I train up to 14 Huskies pulling a Yamaha Grizzly 550, that is quite a lot of Horse (Dog) power. Sometimes in order to make the ride smoother for Dogs and us we ride in Neutral but on a few occasions I have noticed that the right hand (front) brake seems to loose pressure and does not brake at all. Is there a particular reason for this ? Is it a fault or is it something to do with us riding in neutral, I only use the ATV in this way a few months a year before the snow comes but I am sure I recall the same thing happening last season.
      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because I am a far way from being a mechanic.....
      Have a super day and thank you all.
      Craig
      Lapland

• By Wiktorix Gameplays
      Can I use an old snowblower engine in my 90cc quad? The old one blew up. 
      Thanks for the help.