Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

PaulyP

2002 Honda 300ex Stalling out

Ok, 2002 300ex, starts up great, after 20 min or so, stalls out while riding. Does not start

up right away, sits for 2or 3 min, starts up no issue, dies out again 5- 10 min later, issue keeps repeating. HELP......

I would say you have a problem in your ignition system, something is failing when it starts to get hot. Most likely culprit is the CDI, but I would find the specs and procedures for the direct resistance tests and check everything else after you get it warmed up and it stops running. If you don't have a repair manual, get one, it will have the specs and procedures for the ignition tests and a troubleshooting guide to help you track down the problem. The Clymer manual is cheaper and decent, but the Honda factory manual is better IMO and worth the extra money if you ask me.

CLYMER HONDA TRX250X TRX300EX SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL: eBay Motors (item 230459750016 end time Aug-06-10 10:58:27 PDT)

Honda TRX300EX TRX 300EX 300 EX Shop Service Manual OEM: eBay Motors (item 190422503894 end time Aug-22-10 10:18:37 PDT)

Thanks, one thing I forgot to mention, if I leave it idle , and I have for at least for a half hour, its fine, I would assume its pleanty hot by then.

So you are saying that if you let it warm at an idle for 30 minutes, it's ok? Does that mean you can ride it without issue if you let it warm up that long? Or are you saying that it doesn't exhibit the problem if all you do is let it idle?

Ride the machine until it shuts off, pull the plug out, and with it connected to the boot and grounded to the outside of the motor, turn the machine over and check for spark. This will tell you if the problem is related to an ignition issue or if it is something else. I would still think the ignition is the most likely problem.

Well I finally had time to check it out and it will idle forever without shutting down. Any other suggestions/ Tx

I will say this again, ride it until it shuts down, take the plug out, ground it against the motor and turn the bike over to check for spark. If there is no spark, obviously you have an ignition problem, if that is the case, I would still say that the CDI is the most likely culprit. Again, there are some tests you can do to check the other components. I posted some links for repair manuals in a previous post, on top of having test specs and procedures for your ignition components, they will have a troubleshooting guide that may help you track down the problem. If there is still spark after the machine stops running, then your problem is probably and interruprion in the fuel flow. That could mean debris in the fuel tank or carb, a stuck float or a fuel tank that is not ventilating properly.

Sounds like the needle & seat are gummed up. Clean the carb. with 2+2 carb cleaner. That will dissolve all varnish and gum.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ryan Foster
      I am trying to find a used OEM cylinder for the above mentioned quad. I was told the current cylinder came from Amazon so I suspect its aftermarket china (made from recycled coat hangers and shopping carts.) Anyway, was looking at the parts list and they have 2 cylinders listed..
      11210-19B82-0F0
      MODEL X/Y
      and..
      11210-19B90-0F0
      MODEL K1/K2

My engine case is stamped K403 230829 Trying to figure out what model I have. I see I have a K in there but....
      I don't know what the differences are between the cylinders (the first one cost more). Anybody know how to decipher this?
      I only have the engine, I don't have the frame to get the actual VIN.  

Also, are there any marks on an OEM cylinder to differentiate it from aftermarket?

• By Rick Robinson
      My Arctic Cat ATV started sputtering and backfiring and losing power on acceleration and sometimes die. It idles perfectly. I thought it may be the carburetor float sticking and would knock on the bowl and it would run great again for a while. It then started doing the same thing but I began hearing a loud knocking like low octane knock. This is intermittent and does not knock all the time. Thinking it was the carburetor float and possibly an obstruction in the jets I cleaned the tank and carburetor and put a new kit in. Still had the same problem. Bought a new OEM carburetor It still has the same problem at any adjustment? It also seems to improve a small amount when carburetor is disconnected from the filter system. I am starting to think it may be something else causing this possible a Coil or electrical? I would appreciate an experienced reply. I do have automotive shade tree experiences but this has me scratching my head. Thanks in advance!
    • By mikeexplorer
      PA Residents, please take a moment to send an email supporting this to [email protected]
      https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41590987/proposed-changes-on-the-way-for-riding-atvs-on-state-forest-trails?fbclid=IwAR1EXkgtnRenBzFAKG5h1IOs7xDrNg6iedYSALckbjx2F5ZPjwdDFFij6Jc#.Xic-MeQ7aXY.facebook
      This week, the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) plans to outline proposed policy changes for ATV trails on state forest lands.  They will also be seeking public comment.
      Pennsylvania has more than 260 miles of ATV trails in state forests. The department is reviewing its policy to respond to increasing demands for riding opportunities and well as interest from local governments in expanding tourism.
      “The purpose of the policy is to provide guidance to DCNR when acquiring, developing and managing lands for ATV use by the public,” Secretary Cindy Adams Dunn said.
      There had been a moratorium on new trail development, but the policy revisions now authorize DCNR to consider new ATV trails and connectors on state forest lands.
      “New ATV trails will be considered, while still balancing the protection of natural resources as outlined in the Environmental Rights Amendment to the Pennsylvania Constitution, and the needs of all types of recreational users on DCNR lands,” Dunn said.
      In a 2016 survey of ATV users, more than 4,800 responded with many indicating a strong desire for more long-distance trails. Pennsylvania has around 285,000 registered ATVs. On state forest lands, ATV riding is allowed only on designated trails.
      Public comment will be taken at a meeting in Harrisburg Wednesday, January 22, from 10 a.m. to noon in Room 105 of the Rachel Carson State Office Building. Written comments can be submitted to [email protected]
      The deadline to submit comments is March 27.
      More information about ATV riding is on the DCNR website.

• By K L Buck Naff
      Trying to replace the carburetor on my 2003 Bear Tracker 250. Two brand new carbs in a row from different suppliers.   Both leak fuel out over flow and intake as soon as I turn the gas on. Any ideas. Am I doing something wrong?
    • By George Henry
      I just watched this video I made ten years ago.  It made me laugh.  I was riding a 1985 Honda ATC 200X.  It's hard to film yourself so I had to position the camera to film me.  May flies out th wazoo, but I HAD to ride.  I hope you get a laugh.
      Here is the link: 
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNfAPe3NIg4
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Jean de la Chevrotière
      View File Polaris 700 2002 Owner's manual
      Polaris 2002 700 Owner's Safety and maintenance manual
      Submitter Jean de la Chevrotière Submitted 12/01/2018 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By Jean de la Chevrotière
      Polaris 2002 700 Owner's Safety and maintenance manual
    • By priglmeier
      I own a 2002 Can-Am Quest 650.
      It will start if you massage the throttle a bit and it will continue to run. BUT if you let go of the throttle and try to let it idle it will always die warm or cold.
      It has Non-Oxy premium gas, a new gapped NGK plug, a new carb (as of today) and fresh fluids. After installing the new carb it runs exactly the same.

I only have a few things that I have observed since the new carb:
      The choke still doesn't do anything. It has a good cable and it is hooked up. It on fully off. There is a cable in the top, front of the engine that splits into two connectors. The connected side is in the photo. The other side has the yellow banded section and is not connected. I do not see anything in range of this connector so I don't know if this is normal or not??? The original carb wasn't really dirty or clogged. I'll use it as a spare. I don't see this cable and connectors listed in the Can-Am shop manual. Looking for some help. I want to ride!

• By sloundez
      Does anyone out there know where I can get a functional pair of wheel cylinders for subject ATV? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks