Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2007 Yamaha Raptor 80 wont run at all

MoMike

07 Raptor 80. Had old fuel in it. Got it running on the old stuff and left it idleing while I ate dinner. I looked out and it had a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. By the time I got out to it, it had stalled and would not restart. Drained the old fuel and still wont run. Not even a backfire. Rebuilt the carb. Still nothing. I'm not an idiot but this thing sure makes me feel like one. Almost seems like no compression. I cranked it while the carb was off and there does appear to be vaccuum. Definately not the starter clutch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

Have you tried a new spark plug? You say it feels like it has no compression, a compression test would not be a bad idea. When you rebuilt the carb, did you make sure to clean all the jets and passages in the carb and make sure the float is moving properly? If the float valve is stuck in the inlet, no fuel will enter the carb. You also want to make sure that the fuel petcock and fuel filter (if any) are not plugged. Have you checked for spark? Have you tried starting fluid?

Edited by DirtDemon

Yes it has spark. I don't have a compression tester small enough to see what it actually is. Float is not stuck. When I rebuilt it I have the NAPA 1 gallon carb soaker can with basket. It does a real nice job. I guess my next question is this. Can that cam chain slip and throw the valve timing off and if so how do you set it?

Thanks,

Mike

I appologize for the long wait for a reply, I have been without my internet connection for a few days.

The cam chain can slip and throw the valve timing off, but if it did, it is not as simple as re-setting it. If it did slip, there was a cause and that cause needs to be fixed, possible causes would be worn sprockets, stretched chain, faulty, weak or improperly adjusted chain tensioner. There are two vavle inspection covers, one on each side of the head. You can remove these and check the vavle lash, get a ballpark idea of where the valve timing is by making sure that both vavles are completely shut when the motor is at TDC. I would recommend checking the valve adjustment, also. However, before you start looking into the valve timing, I would rule out the possibility of there still being a problem with the carb. Dipping the carb in a bucket may not get all the gunk out of the jets and passages. These places often need to be manually cleaned out, poked through with something and then maybe blown out with compressed air. Did you look and make sure the jets are clear? Have you tried getting it to start using starting fluid? If it will start and run for a sec using starting fluid, then your problem is that you aren't getting fuel. If it will not start even with starting fluid, then obviously your problem is something else. Another possibility is that the timing key has sheared off, and the spark timing is off.

I really appreciate your in depth reply. No it doesn't run on starting fluid. I am a mechanic by trade, just not on motorcycles. Theory is still the same, fuel, squish and fire something has to happen. Problem is no squish. I had the head off. Cylinder is not scored and valves seem to be seated. Metal head gasket so i'm assuming it's reusable? Sprayed a coat of copper on it and and re-installed. Cranked it over without the carb on, just trying to get the squish back. Has vaccum on the intake tho I don't have a way to measure how much and when I put some oil in the cylinder it pushed it out the exhaust port. This is why I think the cam timing is off. At TDC there's a mark on the cam gear and it lines up with a mark on the cover. I know i'm missing something, just don't know what it is.

Thanks,

Mike

When you line the mark on the cam up, is there a flywheel mark to reference so you know the crank is at TDC as well? Many machines will have a plug that you take out to give you a view of the flywheel for timing purposes. Obviously, if the crank is not at TDC as well, then the cam marks lining up don't mean anything. Given everything you have said, I am inclined to agree with you, if there is no squish, and the vavles, piston/rings and cylinder are fine, the most likely culprit is valve timing. I have heard of people re-using metal head gaskets without issue, most of them do the same thing you did, spray copper on it. As a general rule though, it is not really recommended.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mywifeknowseverythin
      For those of you who are into coffee, I found this little article that might interest some of you.

I admit it. I am a coffee snob. I try not to be obnoxious about it, but let the record show: I enjoy a really great cup of coffee. But pay $4 a cup for it? No way. Even snobs have their limits.
      Over the years, I’ve learned that a really good cup of coffee has less to do with money and more to do with knowledge and care. In fact—and this is the amazing thing—the more I learn, the less I spend.
      BEANS. Purchase whole bean coffee as soon after it has been roasted as possible. Freshness is the key to a superb cup of coffee. Purchase in small amounts—only as much as you can use within 2 weeks of being roasted.
      RATIO. The perfect ratio of coffee beans (prior to grinding) and water is: One-half cup whole beans to 8 cups of water.
      GRIND. Grind your beans as close to brew time as possible. A burr or mill grinder that crushes the beans is preferable to a blade grinder that cuts them. Once ground, coffee should be used immediately.
      WATER. If your water is highly chlorinated use bottled or filtered water. It must be right at 200 F, just short of boiling temperature, when it hits the dry grinds. This is critical to creating a great cup of coffee. Consume immediately.
      STORE. The enemies of roasted coffee beans are air, moisture, heat and light—in that order. Keep your beans in an airtight container that is not close to moisture (sink, dishwasher), heat (oven, stove) or light (countertop). Do not store your daily coffee in the refrigerator or freezer because contact with moisture causes it to deteriorate. For larger quantities of roasted beans that you cannot use within 2 weeks, wrap in airtight bags and store for up to a month in the freezer—making sure the beans are completely protected against moisture. Once removed from the freezer, do not return.
      BUY. Most supermarkets offer high-quality, roasted coffee beans for $.60 to $1 per ounce ($9.50 - $16.00 per pound). Ouch! Discount warehouse clubs like Costco, Sam’s and B.J.’s have considerably less expensive coffee at about $9 a pound for name brands like Starbuck’s and Peet’s. Still, that’s too rich for my blood.
      ROAST. I roast my own coffee for two reasons: It is infinitely better tasting and half the price. I purchase green coffee beans by mail order for about $4 - $6 a pound, depending on current conditions and variety. I started out roasting in a popcorn popper (West Bend’s Poppery II is ideal) and have graduated to a small coffee roaster. My favorite resource for everything from roasting instructions to green coffee beans is http://www.u-roast-em.com/. Owner Jim Cameron has a wealth of knowledge and is anxious to share.
      You won’t believe how easy it is to roast coffee. And enjoyable, too. I roast only one-week’s worth at a time—about twenty minutes. Green coffee beans have an indefinite, useful shelf life of at least a year, and probably two or longer. But I’ll never know. Coffee beans just don’t last that long around my house!
    • By Kawiherder
      It starts and runs Ok but after a while the temp gage lights up and the fan fails to start.  Any suggestions on where to start looking would be helpful.  Thanks
    • By Bobbywolf
      I am working on a basket case for a friend.  It is a 98 Big Bear (YFM350FWB).  It came with a parts machine which is a 96, which I am coming to find out is VERY different from his machine.

Anyway, first thing is first.  I checked compression, 150psi.  Valves are set correctly, and the engine is in time.  I cleaned the carb, and there was some junk in the passages.  It is a chinese carb, which I figured from the lack of markings or lettering altogether.

The bike runs.  It idles ok, but breaks up badly under acceleration.  Pulling a new spark plug shows it is running lean.  White strap, with no black whatsoever.  So I have the carb adjusted with the mixture screw out way too much (about 5 turns), and the diaphragm needle lifted to the top slot.  It is still not getting enough fuel (or too much air).  It backfires through the carb, and cannot get above idle without carrying on.  The carb boot is in good shape, so it isn't pulling any air there.  I did test this as well by spraying ether around the boot when running, looking for intake leaks.

Anything big I am missing here?  I am starting to believe that this chinese carb is the issue.  This quad came with the original carb, which I would like to rebuild and use, but the mixture screw is totally stuck, and stripped way down in its recess.  

Thanks for any assistance.
    • By Topendcol
      First issue was fuel pump wont start once ignition has been turned on. Replaced the pump as I had one on hand, than noticed no power so replaced the fuel pump relay as that was were i traced the power to. Still nothing so further inspection looks like signal is coming from the PCM (FLR B20) but not switching the the brown wire to the fuel pump. Ive checked the operation of the bank angle sensor and it appears operational. Fuses and wiring all appear OK. The engine stop relay also tests OK. Ive been through the repair manual and diagrams but to no avail. Fully stumped, any tips would be helpful. Thanks
      Col
    • By p5200
      I'm assuming, it's alright to test the engine after adjusting valves without the rear axle installed? Can someone please verify this? I'm waiting on axle parts and wanting to get that done while waiting. Thanks! 🙂
  • Similar Tagged Forum Content