Quantcast

Offroad Mobile App?

I think that this is a good question actually. What kind of app would you make? I wouldn't mind seing an app for this forum and site to post up pics and stuff off a phone...lol.

I use a Palm Pre and will most likely stick with webOS unless Verizon gets the iPhone, but if you make an iOS app, I'm told that they can be ported to WebOS. Ofcourse you don't want to leave android OS out or even BB OS6.

You should rename this thread: "Offroad Mobile App?".

reason i ask...

having been around the "offroading community" for quite awhile, and my intense lack of respect for those who disrespect the lands i ride on, i am working on integrating an app to expose those individuals, publicly humiliate them, and then, icing on the cake, report them to the proper authorities. would this catch anyone's eye?

reason i ask...

having been around the "offroading community" for quite awhile, and my intense lack of respect for those who disrespect the lands i ride on, i am working on integrating an app to expose those individuals, publicly humiliate them, and then, icing on the cake, report them to the proper authorities. would this catch anyone's eye?

I love this idea:yes:

"The apps serve a dual purpose: increasing awareness about a cause and enabling users to take action in support of it. Holly Ross, executive director of the Nonprofit Technology Network, says grabbing a spot on people's phones helps organizations forge more personal connections with supporters and leverage their often spontaneous desire to do good. At the same time charitable apps give users an easily accessible way to feel they are making a difference.

It's still early days for such apps. Most nonprofits consider websites and e-mail their most important technology investments, according to Ross. Social media efforts, such as Facebook or Twitter, usually come next, followed by mobile.

Part of the reason is cost. Developing a sophisticated iPhone app can run $30,000 to $50,000--a considerable outlay for a nonprofit or fledgling organization, particularly when it's not obvious how the expense will be recouped. Unlike, say, mobile games, most civic-minded apps are distributed for free. Most also refrain from soliciting donations, in part because Apple ( AAPL - news - people ) bans apps that do so from its App Store. (There have been several high-profile mobile donation programs, but they focused on text messages, not apps.) "We're at an in-between stage," says Ross. "Apps are still an extra, and rightfully so.""

reason i ask...

I think those people should be exposed WillyPoP. They give us law abiding riders a bad name and put us all into one category as a whole. I get a local hunting magazine here in British Columbia and every year after hunting season they have a section called The Wall of Shame. They print the names of anyone and everyone that had broken wildlife laws from that year from poaching to polluting along with the offenses they committed to how much of a fine or sentence they received. I even personally knew a couple of people that had their name printed in there. Take a picture of them if you witness it yourself or post a clipping of when they did get busted and call the thread Idiot of the Week or something along those lines. This is part of the reason that they now want us to register our ATV's in B.C. so that it is easier to track these clowns down.

Gary

WiliPoP, I changed your thread title to Offroad Mobile App?

I think that will help more show what this thread is about and maybe some more feedback for you. :wink:

:hurrayc:

i welcome all feedback. i should let u guys know that if things go according to plan, i may demo this app at a race in Parker AZ. hit up Stoopidbot for race info.

I think those people should be exposed WillyPoP. They give us law abiding riders a bad name and put us all into one category as a whole. I get a local hunting magazine here in British Columbia and every year after hunting season they have a section called The Wall of Shame. They print the names of anyone and everyone that had broken wildlife laws from that year from poaching to polluting along with the offenses they committed to how much of a fine or sentence they received. I even personally knew a couple of people that had their name printed in there. Take a picture of them if you witness it yourself or post a clipping of when they did get busted and call the thread Idiot of the Week or something along those lines. This is part of the reason that they now want us to register our ATV's in B.C. so that it is easier to track these clowns down.

Gary

thanx Gary...great input!

• 5 months later...

That,s an interesting idea WillyPop. I have'nt been riding public land very long but I have been making some trips up to Red River New Mexico for the last couple of years. The state is talking about closing some of the trails there because of people not staying on the trails. I have seen a couple of places where that has happened and sure didn't like seeing meadows,streams etc. torn up that area of New Mexico supposedly has 300 miles of trails to ride, don't see why people can't ride the trails,sure wish the state had some numbers or websites posted that you could contact so these people could get their just rewards. go to redrivernmchamberofcommerce for more about this