Quantcast

2000 Honda foreman problems need some advice

Mudboggers912

Hey everyone I just bought a 2000 Honda foreman and it smokes a lil and sometimes oil comes out of the muffler but the guy I bought it from said it needs carb work cause it sat for two years he said there is a lot of sea foam and fuel stabilizer that he put in it that's why I think it smokes it anyone got any ideas it runs but bogs out when you give it gas but fires right up some one please help me!!!

The first thing do is change all the fluids and filters, put fresh gas and a fresh plug in it and check the vavles. If it still runs poorly after that, I would move to cleaning the carb. Take it off the quad, take it comletely apart and clean everything, all holes and passages, make sure not to lose anything, there are some small parts in there. Keep an eye out for damaged gaskets and seals. If you still have problems after cleaning the carb, then do a compression test. Please keep us posted on any developments and feel fee to ask as many questions as you want. I would also recommend getting a service manual, they are well worth the money.

Thankyou for the help i bought new oil and filter and bought a new air filter and box cause the box was broken so parts are on the way and i will get a new plug also but im taking the carb off anyways to clean it so its just already done and im emptying the gas out to put new gas in but how do i check the valves again thankyou for the help its much appreciated.

To check the vavle lash, first set your motor at TDC on the compression stroke. If you can't find the timing mark on the flywheel, then just remove the valve cover on the top of the head then rotate the motor until the intake vavle opens and then closes, stop it before the exhuast valve begins to open. The idea is not to have any pressure on the valve train from the cam lobes. Next, you slide a feeler guage between the top of the vavle stem and the adjuster nut that pushes the valve. I believe the gap should be .006", but I am not sure, you may want to call a dealer tech and see if they will tell you what the clearances are. If they need to be adjusted, there is a jam nut at the top of the rocker arm, right above the vavle that holds the adjuster screw in place. Loosen the jam nut and screw the adjuster up or down until you have reached the specified gap measurement. Then, carefully tighten the jam nut while making sure to hold the adjuster screw still as not to change the gap. I would recommend getting a repair manual, all of this info will be in there, as well as torque specs and other valuable info that you will most likely need at some point.

I merged your two threads together, no need to post another thread for the same issue. You want all the info in one place, it makes it easier for people to get an idea of what exactly is wrong if they can read the whole discussion.

Did you check the vavles or do a compression test as I suggested before? The smoking could be bad valve stem seals like Raptor8 said, or you could have worn piston/rings. Also, as Raptor8 mentioned, the noise coming from the top end is probably your vavles needing to be adjusted. The only way you are going to know for sure though is to take a look under the cover. Good luck.